turn signal indicators not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel

Reaction score
My Car
73 vert
Title says it all. TS work great, incl.  Hazzard but no indicators in dash.

Where doI start? Is there a fuse I should check or a wire known to be prone to breaking? How do I get to the indicator bulbs, is this straight forward by taking out the gauge panel?

Probably need new bulbs. Strange they'd both go out together though. Either way you'll probably need to remove the dash for trouble shooting access. If the bulbs in the exterior lights work then I'd guess the flasher units are good.. Check with MIDLIFE, he's a good spark chasing guy and has helped me out several times.

Are the indicators on a separate fuse or on the same as the turn signals themselves?

All on same circuit. Problem likely lies in the circuit card or turn signal switch.

if you turn on the signals do the front and rear lights indicate left and right but the dash indicators are just not working?

then you know the issue is in the dash board instrument panel.

if you turn on the hazard lights and the dash lights up left and right then you know the instrument cluster is ok

your hazards are working so switch itself might be ok..

next place to look is open the glove box and look up there is a panel up there pop the 2 screws and drop the panel down the Turn signal flasher module is located here.

the Hazard lights module is down by the fusebox, but there are 2 separate flashers in our cars. so change that flasher above the glove box and retest.

the switch could be defective and it is easier to swap out to test function. Worse case scenario a broken wire inside the dash harness or broken connector which is much harder to trace.

you can also try experimenting usually the turn signal housing light socket rusts out and shorts out the turn signals. So pop the bulbs in the front turn signal housing out and see if suddenly the lights start working you can try the same with the rear lights you might get lucky and figure out which lights socket is bad then you can replace it.

on my car my front 72 turn signals were completely shorted and needed to be replaced so my turn signals worked.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I took out the gauge panel to check the indicator bulbs. One started working when I swapped left to right, matter of fact already when I twisted the socket out and back in. Bad connection or surface rust, I suppose, as the car was sitting for 15 years. The other bulb refused to lighten up in the printed circuit but did lighten up real short on the bench - that was before I dropped and killed it. Replaced bulb, went back in the car, tested - worked!

That was a pretty easy fix, on to the next one... Thx 4 all the advice

Back