Engine Code Decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Guys

I am trying to find the right codes for my valve cover drivers side engine code decal.

I ordered one from ebay and found out it was California emissions and air conditioned car.

My car is a 1972 351C 48 states car with no AC and a 4sp tranny.

I found one on fordification site for 1973 but I am sure the codes are probably different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRrPy97tTVAhWF1CYKHRDdAf4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffordification.net%2Ftech%2FengineIDtags.htm&psig=AFQjCNEG_vsvjAN_3382rxQ3MC9_EYzlgA&ust=1502735987257623

Any help please................

Do a search of the Forum. I went through the same thing a year or so back and actually found that nobody makes the right one for mine, lol. There are decoders for all of the boxes on the sticker that tell what each one is. They are in post on the forum. I have a 72 Q vert automatic I am working on now.

Guys

I am trying to find the right codes for my valve cover drivers side engine code decal.

I ordered one from ebay and found out it was California emissions and air conditioned car.

My car is a 1972 351C 48 states car with no AC and a 4sp tranny.

I found one on fordification site for 1973 but I am sure the codes are probably different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRrPy97tTVAhWF1CYKHRDdAf4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffordification.net%2Ftech%2FengineIDtags.htm&psig=AFQjCNEG_vsvjAN_3382rxQ3MC9_EYzlgA&ust=1502735987257623

Any help please................
Check here for your 65-72 codes... http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineIDtags.htm

Buy Kevin Marti's book, the Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-1973) It's all in there. Jim Osborn reproduction only make a few of these because they a cannot reproduce them if they, a, don't have an original to copy and b, don't have a license from Ford.

For my 71 4V 4 speed, K613 J, I bought the one for the 351 Boss, K625 J and took it to a local graphics shop as a sample, They reproduced the sticker for me on the correct type vinyl. Been on for 3 years now and still looks new. Alternatively, if you still have your aluminum engine tag under your coil, it too has the correct sticker code. If your car is a 72 4 speed, then it must be a Q code 351C 4V. Your plant code number will be 621. It looks like the prefix is K Non-Thermactor, non- Claifornia. The suffix letter is a bit more difficult to figure out as these code were on a 3 year cycle. I think the it could be 'S' as 66, 69, 72 are listed as the third year. Mine is second year and is J through R. It's a bit hard to figure out I'm afraid. hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy Kevin Marti's book, the Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-1973) It's all in there. Jim Osborn reproduction only make a few of these because they a cannot reproduce them if they, a, don't have an original to copy and b, don't have a license from Ford.

For my 71 4V 4 speed, K613 J, I bought the one for the 351 Boss, K625 J and took it to a local graphics shop as a sample, They reproduced the sticker for me on the correct type vinyl. Been on for 3 years now and still looks new. Alternatively, if you still have your aluminum engine tag under your coil, it too has the correct sticker code. If your car is a 72 4 speed, then it must be a Q code 351C 4V. Your plant code number will be 621. It looks like the prefix is K Non-Thermactor, non-  Claifornia. The suffix letter is a bit more difficult to figure out as these code were on a 3 year cycle. I think the it could be 'S' as 66, 69, 72 are listed as the third year. Mine is second year and is J through R. It's a bit hard to figure out I'm afraid. hope that helps.
I copied and pasted your note to my Mustang folder. Good info and I thank you.

You have a very nice looking engine, mine I hope will be identical.  

Thanks

Rodney

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. 

I think I am very close to the right engine code decal with everyone's help, what a great site.

Rodney

For my 71 4V 4 speed, K613 J, I bought the one for the 351 Boss, K625 J and took it to a local graphics shop as a sample, They reproduced the sticker for me on the correct type vinyl. Been on for 3 years now and still looks new. Alternatively, if you still have your aluminum engine tag under your coil, it too has the correct sticker code. If your car is a 72 4 speed, then it must be a Q code 351C 4V. Your plant code number will be 621. It looks like the prefix is K Non-Thermactor, non-  Claifornia. The suffix letter is a bit more difficult to figure out as these code were on a 3 year cycle. I think the it could be 'S' as 66, 69, 72 are listed as the third year. Mine is second year and is J through R. It's a bit hard to figure out I'm afraid. hope that helps.
I copied and pasted your note to my Mustang folder. Good info and I thank you.

You have a very nice looking engine, mine I hope will be identical.  

Thanks

Rodney
 Thank you Rodney. I am pleased the help was useful. The info I gave is from the book, but obviously I can't copy it. It's finding that correct suffix letter that may be tough, but then again, most people will never know if it's right or wrong.

When I got mine printed, I had several made just in case. Just a thought.

If you would like other detailed pictures of my engine bay. PM me. I did a post on it too if you care to search. Not saying mine is perfection, no way, but I like it to at least look  original.

Geoff.

Back