Joe Gibbs break in oil and other products

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Nothing but positive results with all their products. Cheap insurance for new engines especially with flat tappet cams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Brad Penn breakin oil and was very happy with it. The only funky thing is it's the same color as antifreeze (which made me wonder for a minute why a valve cover bolt was leaking antifreeze!).

Also read i's good to add some breakin additive with every oil change to get what our engine need that's not in todays oil.

Alan L
You don't necessarily need additives, just a good oil that has the additives in it. There are some more expensive oils like Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn (they're about $6.75/qt locally here), but I run Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil. It has all the additives you need (I've seen it recommended by various car restoration magazines such as Hemmings Classic Cars), and is about $5.50/qt at my local NAPA store. Multi-weights and straight-weights, pretty much everything is available (I'm running 10W-30 in my newly-rebuilt 351C).

Other people swear by Shell Rotella diesel oil. You just have to make sure you're getting the correct blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back