429 for sale in the 8/17 Russo & Steele Auction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
Nice build. Not perfect, but looks nice. If it gets interest, it will probably hammer in the $60-75k range.

Good looking, nicely optioned ride!  Looks like the SCJ is missing the smog pump and other details.  I noticed that in the second paragraph of the description, it says the car has the 'rarely seen' space-saver spare tire.  I was under the impression that the space saver only came with the sport deck fold-down rear seat?  Correct?

I would say you would need to spend some time checking this one out if interested. When someone does not even take the interior light switch out of the A post when they painted the car looks pretty flaky to me. Takes seconds to remove it and they didn't. Probably painted the door latches also.

Space saver spare would not have been in this one for sure without fold down.

Question on the space saver. When you got 15" wheels like this would have did you get a 15" space saver? I cannot say I have every seen a 15" one.

I do not think it will be high dollar car with the way it is reworked not restored. Would the seat belts not have been black also with that interior option?

Went back and looked again. It even has the wrong shifter in it. Round not flat. I would bet it has wrong transmission also. Looks like a pieced together car I doubt if brings $30,000 unless someone it totally blind when they view it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fixed rear seat J-code had a space saver in it when I bought it from the original owner in 73. No reason to believe he added it. It had 15" wheels, but I think the spare was a 14 if I remember right.

David, that is a nicely optioned J code. But as you pointed out, there are the many small detail items that are incorrect and show a lack of professionalism in their work (such as painted over switches, etc). The downside to the R, C, and J codes popularity increasing is now your starting to see some cars with some beautiful shiny "look at Me" paint jobs that should be 100% correct. Unfortunately some of these dealers are unloading "Pigs Wearing Lipstick" on some unsuspecting folks. When you start looking for rev limiters and correct shift levers, you better be saving a lot of your lunch money. Lol

David, as far as the space saver, F78 x 14 was the only size offered in the 71-73 Mustang with the sport deck rear seat or 71-72 F60 x 15 tire options. My red Mach1 (Money Pit #2) had the F60 x 15 option and had a F78 x 14 space saver spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back