Carb and Intake Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweeps

Reaction score
My Car
07 Mustang GT
First car 351 H Code 73 Mach 1 totalled in college
My Brother is looking at getting to drive the mach 1 more.  With all the trouble with the 4300D what carb and intake combo would you recommend to use? Looking at Performer Intake, Holley or Edlebrock carbs.  Would you go with Electric Choke?

Street driven? Stick with a dual plane intake like the performer. I am a holley fan but other folks love the edelbrocks. If you get a holley go with the street avenger and vacuum secondaries. 'Double Pumper' sounds cool but Vacuum is easier to tune for the street. Electric choke will be easier to set up for sure.

Street driven?  Stick with a dual plane intake like the performer.  I am a holley fan but other folks love the edelbrocks.  If you get a holley go with the street avenger and vacuum secondaries.  'Double Pumper' sounds cool but Vacuum is easier to tune for the street.   Electric choke will be easier to set up for sure.
670cfm or 770cfm?

I have had good success with my Performer Intake and 73 Ford Big Block 4100-A. A lot of folks don't like them as they can be a bit finicky, but setup right and they work fine. Also, if you prefer a stock look they connect to your stock curb idle, choke, Air cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a carb that I can replace my stock one with and use the stock intake?

Thanks

I am going to be rebuilding my 4300 this week kit should arrive today. I took apart and it seems pretty simple. The guy I got the kit from has great info on his web site also.

I don't recall ever having any issue with the stock carb. I continually have issue with power valve in the Holley on my vert that PO added. I was told that if you get one backfire it kills the valve and needs replacing.

Here is link to the web site with the infor on the Ford Autolite / Motorcraft carb.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolite-4300-Technical_ep_292.html

I think they get a bad rap because they are getting so old and need repair.

Back