Carb and Intake Swap

My Brother is looking at getting to drive the mach 1 more.  With all the trouble with the 4300D what carb and intake combo would you recommend to use? Looking at Performer Intake, Holley or Edlebrock carbs.  Would you go with Electric Choke?

Street driven? Stick with a dual plane intake like the performer. I am a holley fan but other folks love the edelbrocks. If you get a holley go with the street avenger and vacuum secondaries. 'Double Pumper' sounds cool but Vacuum is easier to tune for the street. Electric choke will be easier to set up for sure.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Street driven?  Stick with a dual plane intake like the performer.  I am a holley fan but other folks love the edelbrocks.  If you get a holley go with the street avenger and vacuum secondaries.  'Double Pumper' sounds cool but Vacuum is easier to tune for the street.   Electric choke will be easier to set up for sure.

670cfm or 770cfm?

Because Clevelands like a lot of carburetor I wouldn't go smaller than 700.

I always liked the 4100 carburetors, these Summit carburetors are based on those. Easy to work on and few places to leak from.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs/overview/

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I have had good success with my Performer Intake and 73 Ford Big Block 4100-A. A lot of folks don't like them as they can be a bit finicky, but setup right and they work fine. Also, if you prefer a stock look they connect to your stock curb idle, choke, Air cleaner.

20170313_163556a.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

• 1 year later...

Is there a carb that I can replace my stock one with and use the stock intake?

Thanks

I am going to be rebuilding my 4300 this week kit should arrive today. I took apart and it seems pretty simple. The guy I got the kit from has great info on his web site also.

I don't recall ever having any issue with the stock carb. I continually have issue with power valve in the Holley on my vert that PO added. I was told that if you get one backfire it kills the valve and needs replacing.

Here is link to the web site with the infor on the Ford Autolite / Motorcraft carb.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolite-4300-Technical_ep_292.html

I think they get a bad rap because they are getting so old and need repair.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Is there a carb that I can replace my stock one with and use the stock intake?

Thanks

Might want to share a little info about your engine.