Can't get fuel to carb.?????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok I got rid of the electrical gremlin and now the fuel one moved in. I have fire too the engine. I can crank up and squirt gas in carb and it runs. It would not get fuel to the carb so I pulled the Holley fuel pump off and put a new one on yesterday. Fuel tank filter got here late yesterday a day late. I had pulled the tank and it was spotless but the fuel filter had cracked and came off so I ordered a new one. I put the sending unit back in today and cranked the engine kept squirting gas in and still no gas getting to the carb. Every piece of the rubber line was changed to the alcohol resistant kind. While the tank was unhooked I blew air through the line and pretty much noting came out in the catch bottle a little gas and a few flakes.

So what the heck? I am pretty positive I got the pump lever on the right side of the cam lobe. I don't think it is possible to get on the wrong side is it?

Any suggestions?

BTW there is an all Ford show at our local Ford dealer in Hendersonville, N.C. being put on by the local branch of MCA. It will be Saturday 19 show up at 7:30 to check in. I had hoped to take this car on it's first run in 25 years but seems like it doesn't want to leave the garage.

Give me some ideas??????

These might seem like silly or obvious suggestions....

Did you replace or check the fuel filter? What carb are you running? Some also have inlet screens. Have you tried to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and put it into a catch can and see if you are getting fuel to pump while cranking? Might be a bad fuel pump (new is not always good). I'm 99% sure there is only one way it goes in.

I would pull the fuel line off the fuel pump, connect a hand operated vacuum pump and see if you can pull fuel from the tank. Possible causes, a loose fitting or connection allowing an air leak or the sending unit installed with the pickup pointed up.

Ive hade this problem once, I put a vacuum handpump on the hose that ges into the carb. So it sucked the fuel all the way. Then the Engine started and run perfect.

Regards Rob

Having the same issue on the 73, the 72 and the Boss. We were going to start with lines. The 73 has a see through filter and the gas was seen in it then the next day no fuel seen.

I agree, get a hand vacuum pump, pull hose at the carb. Pull vacuum till you get fuel. If it doesn't fire it's in the carb or fuel pump.

The hand pump is on the list for tomorrow for sure. I did try to pour fuel back down the line to the pump but no luck. I did check all the connections today and pulled them off and put back and tightened the clamps to almost breaking point. Still no fuel. This is so basic. I will vacuum check the new fuel pump and the lines tomorrow.

Keep prodding my brain guys. This has to be so simple to fix. Not much between the tank and the carburetor. It is a 650 Holley. Previous owner switched from 2-V to 4-V and it was running last time I cranked it. I did take the Holley fuel pump apart and not holes in diaphragm but cracks. I will vacuum check tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping me thinking.

Take the rubber line off the tank. Run a long rubber hose from frame rail metal line to a 5 gallon can of gas and give that a try, that will bypass anything in tank. You can do the same thing at the rubber line at pump.

I had done small gas can previously while waiting on the in tank fuel filter to get here.

So after killing a few more brain cells last night I went down took the new fuel pump off and sure enough it would not hold a vacuum. So I took vacuum pump with me to parts house and got another one and tested there it held vacuum. Put it on squirted a little gas in and it pumped gas to carb  in seconds.

So now to change the overfull crankcase due to all the gas going into the oil and see if I can get timing set and fill the air conditioner and take it out on road today. No tag but I have insurance, lol. I have never got the title back from state in over a year and cannot get tag. DOT inspector came out and looked and said he would find out what is up. I might go to friends and get transport tag to be safe. I will put a 1973 tag on the car which is legal here. Probably won't ever get stopped.

On the way back from the parts house I guess we had a local bank robbed or attempted. The whole place was surrounded by cops and yellow tape. Wells Fargo bank I hate them hope they did get robbed, lol.

Anyway getting closer to having another one back on the road after over 25 years of sitting in garage.

Well the car is together and running. The new fuel pump got gas there quick. Take a vacuum pump with you when you go to buy a fuel pump will save lots of pain.

When I filled up the radiator the thermostat neck was leaking so had to go get gasket and replace that. Filled up the transmission and power steering. Got the rag joint hooked up and the steering column back in and steering wheel back on. Finished putting the bolts in the seats and trim on the column. Put the console back in.

So I leave here in the morning at 7:00 only have to go 7 or 8 miles but the car has not been driven in 25 years so I am taking a leap of faith.

I charged the air with the Duracool and it works great with only one can. Calculation said one and 1/2 will see how it does. Let it idle in garage for 20 min. no overheat and no leaks. So will see how the maiden voyage goes tomorrow.

I realized when I was vacuuming the car I have no floor mats for it. I have a set of original brown and red but no black ones.

The tach did not work I figure the po burnt it up because he did not put a tach adapter on for the MSD. By the way that MSD has some kick to it I got into it once and beats the heck out a defibrillator, lol. The oil pressure was good and the temp gauge seemed to act right never overheated and nothing out the overflow.

On a good day there will probably be three 71 - 73 mustangs at a show here. When they close off main street on Friday nights I think half of the 1957 Chevys are here. I have see over 20 at on cruise in. This is an all Mustang or Ford show put on by the local Mustang club.

Now I need to drag the Mach 1 in and start on it. Been sitting since early 80's still has all the original hoses and belts on it, 12,200  miles. Will be doing lots of cleaning with the molasses tank for sure. I hate to see what the brake calipers look like.

I put 11 gallons of the $3.00 a gallon no alcohol fuel in so that will not be in the tank. Also added Stabil.

Back