front spoiler on a 71 Mach. optional or standard?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcode71

Reaction score
My Car
70 BOSS 302
Just wondering if the front spoiler on a 71 Mach was an option, standard or if one has one it's been added along the way?  Thanks

jcode71, the front spoiler is probably one of the most popular and easiest to install add on items on the 71-73 Mustangs.  But contrary to popular belief it was never a stand alone option on any 71-73 Mustang. It was standard only on the 71 Boss 351. If it had been a factory option it would have been a lot cheaper. The factory option for a front spoiler on a 74-78 Hatchback Mustang II (same as used on the Cobra version) was $8.00! Over the counter was $102.00 and you still needed mounting hardware and paint.

Yup. Steve nailed it with his post.

Many claim their Mach1 came with it but if it did it was a dealer option. I've found no indication whatsoever that you could order a front spoiler from the factory for anything but a Boss but then it was standard.

BTW, lots of people say it does nothing but just for looks. I found that when I installed mine it made a huge difference in how the front end felt over 100 mph. I makes the car much more steady and not wander as much. Same for the rear. Take it off and do high speed and put back and you will feel the difference.

Thanks for the info guys. I am hoping to bring home a 71 SCJ I owned 35 years ago and would definitely want to put a spoiler on it. Love the look.

I have one on my Mach.  I realize that it's not stock for my J-Code, but who cares!  The car has enough originality elsewhere to offset a few non-original items.

Mach One, that's the beauty of this forum. There are cars from 250 6cyl's right on up to the 429's including at least one Boss 429 I know of. Some are the same as the day they left the assembly plant, some are Gold Card level Concours, others are heavily modded, and some are drivers with personal touches such as yours. Everyone here feels like it's your car, do what pleases you. The only thing that would probably raise a few eyebrows would be talk of Chevrolet power in a Ford. I doubt you would receive a warm welcome and big sloppy kisses if you went to a Camaro forum and starting talking about Ford power in a Z28!  Lol

If I was crusin' in a J code I sure wouldn't care what anyone thought. Enjoy that Bad Boy!!

Back