Solved or not 72 351 Qcode air cleaner decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Well, I ordered an air cleaner decal for my chrome air cleaner on my 1972 Mustang 351 C 4V the other day from vintage graphics.

The size is too small for my factory large air cleaner, the radius was too tight and the width was off by about 1/4" the length was short by 1" on each end. Seems like it is for a smaller air cleaner but it was advertised for 1972 Mustang 351C 4V which is what I have.

I have searched the archives and found several with the same problem but none were solved or had any conclusion.

Has anyone been able to find the larger air cleaner decal for the Q code 351 C 4V ? It looks like what I ordered was D2OF-9C611-BC

Someone else said Osborne sells DF0365 to fit my car but not confirmed.

A little help from Don maybe or any member that has solved the same problem. :cool:

Well, I ordered an air cleaner decal for my chrome air cleaner on my 1972 Mustang 351 C 4V the other day from vintage graphics.

The size is too small for my factory large air cleaner, the radius was too tight and the width was off by about 1/4" the length was short by 1" on each end. Seems like it is for a smaller air cleaner but it was advertised for 1972 Mustang 351C 4V which is what I have.

I have searched the archives and found several with the same problem but none were solved or had any conclusion.

Has anyone been able to find the larger air cleaner decal for the Q code 351 C 4V ? It looks like what I ordered was D2OF-9C611-BC

Someone else said Osborne sells DF0365 to fit my car but not confirmed.

A little help from Don maybe or any member that has solved the same problem. :cool:
Rodney, NPD list part # D-125  for the 72-73 351-4V. Can't say without seeing one if it's right. My 72 did not have a factory air cleaner when I got it, so I can't be sure. I know there where other a/cleaners. Perhaps your cleaner is not correct as you think it is. You may have a 70-71 that someone put on previously. Just a thought. I'll go to NPD's website for more info.

No go there, nothing factory, sorry.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should not affect the size of the decal but this is what happened.

About mid year of 72 Ford got caught with a violation of not having the 351 4-V ram air not certified.  So they dropped the Cobra Jet designation of the 4-V and went to just the 4-V designation.

The size of the decal should not have been an issue. I went from saying 351 Cobra Jet to 351 4-V there was no change in the metal parts that made the air cleaner.

I went through the same issue for both my 72 and 73 Q codes and ordered different decals from multiple suppliers. They are all too small and the only way to get them to fit is cut them into three pieces to make them work. Another reproduction that is ridiculous!

Didn't spend much time on this, but I did Google 1972 -73 Ford Mustang factory air cleaners and there were several pics of a smaller diameter a/cleaner than that used on the 71's. It has radial ribs in the cover. I seem to remember that the same body was also used on the 302 as well as the 351's. At Canadian Fram, we did not make the bodies or covers, we only made the inlets, temp sensors and vacuum motors, so I don't have direct recollection, but that's what I think it is. Could be wrong of course. As I said previously, my 72's a/cleaner was long gone when I bought it, so I made my own using a 17" Chrysler a/c with double snorkels. Looked impressive!!

When you get this one figured out let me know I need to order one for my 72 Q vert. I need a stock air cleaner also with the chrome lid if anyone has one. My car has a ram air but will do both ram air and regular air cleaners and hoods with locks and without when I paint it.

Is the diameter or the decal right for the 2-V air cleaner?

When you get this one figured out let me know I need to order one for my 72 Q vert. I need a stock air cleaner also with the chrome lid if anyone has one. My car has a ram air but will do both ram air and regular air cleaners and hoods with locks and without when I paint it.

No idea on the 2V but my guess is it is wrong also. Here is a pic of a 72 Q code air cleaner with decal.

No idea on the 2V but my guess is it is wrong also. Here is a pic of a 72 Q code air cleaner with decal.

Very nice yes it looks just like mine except my decal was in rough shape. But this one is nice I'll take it.....................

Maybe someone can take full measurements of a known factory stock one

Total length

Total width

length measurement across widest part (center) from tip to tip or from end to end across.

Then I could shop for a supplier using the measurements and that would help us all.

Jeff is this one that you could measure for everyone?

This is the reproduction that does not fit...if you look very closely you can see where I had to cut into three pieces to make the radius contour the same as the lid. No one will ever notice but me but seems like they could just make them right to begin with.

This is the reproduction that does not fit...if you look very closely you can see where I had to cut into three pieces to make the radius contour the same as the lid. No one will ever notice but me but seems like they could just make them right to begin with.
By Joe you are right I see it as plain as day right after the 4V I see one of your splices. If you did not know it was spliced it would be easily overlooked.

Is that not the late 72 version. I thought it actually said 351 CJ on the early 72 Q codes and then whet to the 351 4-V for later 72 and all of 73 production?

I did not get the air cleaner with my 72 Q code so I do not have anything. The owner had a Ram Air with the car so I need an original 4-V Q air cleaner.

I did go look at the Marti for it and it says 351 4-V Cobra Jet V-8 Engine on it. order date of 2-11-72 and build date of 03-01-72 so not an early build for sure.

For some reason I thought is said 351 4-V Cobra Jet on the air cleaner and also on the right hand end of the decal Premium Fuel.

There has to be some pics of an original out there somewhere. Does the Ford Facts book show any? Is there pic in brochures?

I think I now know what's going on. If I'm right, the chrome cover will be 18" diameter with the outside diameter of the element track at 13 1/2" or thereabouts. That is what my 71 is. If the 302 IS  the smaller diameter a/cleaner, with ribs in the cover, then perhaps the idiots that reproduce the 351 4V decal just plain got it wrong by ASSUMING  the 351 was the same as the 302 air cleaner. Even the Google search bought up the smaller a/cleaner WITH 351 4V decals when I entered "images of 1972 Ford 351C factory air cleaners"

strange to say the least and I'm surprised no-one has come up with a clear answer yet. Can't wait to see who's right or wrong on this one!

The Part Number on my decal which appears to be identical to jeff8877's on the air cleaner lid is D20F-9C611-DA

I may have found the answer.

Air Cleaner Decal, 351-4V Regular Fuel, Large Diameter, Ranchero, Torino, 1972

Part Number: 42-74036-1

Brand: Jim Osborn

Air Cleaner Decal, 351-4V Regular Fuel, Large Diameter, Ranchero, Torino, 1972

Back