Carbon Fiber

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
351C 4v
Well...  I had been thinking for a long time about adding carbon fiber in place of the wood decal used on the interior dash center, door inserts, and power window switch bezels, and I finally took the first steps.  I bought a sheet of .012" carbon fiber veneer and the interior pieces it will be overlaid on.  I thought I was going to have to make a paper template for each piece but got incredibly lucky when I was able to peel the woodgrain decal off of the dash center bezel, and lay it on the sheet to cut out.  I snipped it out with a pair of shears, and still need to do some trimming, wet sanding, spray with UV protectant and adhere it, but I think I sidestepped the most difficult part which in my mind was creating a template for this piece.  I am doing this in conjunction with changing the interior color to black, and will do this over the winter.  I am pretty stoked that I was able to do this in more or less an afternoon, which I figured would take much longer, never having worked with this material before.

The material is a black carbon fiber with metallic green woven into it.  Not sure if the link below will work or not, but here it is anyway.  Some pics of the progress are below.  I should have at least one fan of this here, and no more grandpa comments lol! 

lollerz.gif

Scott

https://compositeenvisions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=814&pic=0&products_image_large_additional=images/f-814-reflections-carbon-fiber-2x2-twill-green-2.jpg

Make a template anyway, turn it into electronic version, so that others can use it!

Looks awesome! ::thumb::

I might be a little biased, though.  ;)

I cheated and used 3M DiNoc vinyl instead of the real thing like you did.

attachment.php

attachment.php

For my console and deluxe doors the cheap wood decal went exit years ago. Console has real leather applied on it.

There was no carbon or similar back then. And let the chrome beneath for the doors.

Today, I think this will look pretty in the 429, this looks awesome.

so yeah +1 on template! I recall cutting the natural leather to fit was tricky.

@Mr 4x4

I like very much the deluxe chrome + carbon looks + the pony.

Bought for 4 euros in China via e-bay some pony's ment for fenders (I think),

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322546020496

surprisingly good looking and in metal, so was thinking about using them on doors, but not sure to place them in middle or 68-69 like.

Now I know :)

PS: good luck with the bad weather coming your way

Thanks!  I always thought the deluxe panels on the doors were kind of plain, and just 'blah' with the woodgrain.  I grabbed a set of door panel ponies from earlier models and decided to add them in since mine's a restomod, and the fact that there are exactly zero 'Mustang' representations (pony, letters, or otherwise) inside the car (except for the little tiny running horse in the middle of the steering wheel).

The storm's way far away from San Angelo - but we are getting some of the precip from the outer rain bands.  Nothing catastrophic or anything, just a little unseasonal... but being in the desert wasteland of West Texas, we welcome whatever we get.

Here is my attempt at posting the center console decal template. I put the decal down onto vellum grid, 10 lines per square. Square = 1 inch. I scanned the decal into three parts so they could be printed out and pieced together. Beware when I did a test print the same printer that scanned it copied it out in slightly smaller size, so you might have to adjust the size. Just make sure each square equals exactly 1 inch and your in business. Also, feel I should point out that this is from an ACP repop part, so it might not fit other applications exactly, but should give you a good starting point to tweak to an exact fit. It this format doesn't work well, and someone has a better idea, let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

You have definitely raised the bar with yours, that's for sure.   :bravo:

Back