What 302w air cleaner/ pcv hoses?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 302/C4
Hi, I have a 73 302w convertible, with original air cleaner. I'm trying to find out what hoses connect to the rockers covers. I can find only for 351c when I do google mustang searches. 

Standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay on the right rocker cover bank the oil filler twist off cap and check valve is at the front nearest to the radiator what is the hose from that to the air cleaner, same for the PCV valve on the left hand rear rocker cover. 

Any help part numbers or photos of an original 302 air cleaner setup would be very much appreciated as most pics or info mostly come up about the 351c.

I did see a post about 302w hoses on this site with regards to  pep boys Part #:46032 ¦ SKU: 328108 its not available and further searches comes up for a Chrysler Ram.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have a 73 302w convertible, with original air cleaner. I'm trying to find out what hoses connect to the rockers covers. I can find only for 351c when I do google mustang searches. 

Standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay on the right rocker cover bank the oil filler twist off cap and check valve is at the front nearest to the radiator what is the hose from that to the air cleaner, same for the PCV valve on the left hand rear rocker cover. 

Any help part numbers or photos of an original 302 air cleaner setup would be very much appreciated as most pics or info mostly come up about the 351c.

I did see a post about 302w hoses on this site with regards to  pep boys Part #:46032 ¦ SKU: 328108 its not available and further searches comes up for a Chrysler Ram.

Later today I can scan the illustration from the Ford repair manual and send. I am familiar with the 351 and think the 302 is same. The pics is an original 351 Q code 73. You can see the hook up for the passenger side valve over right beside the Vapor canister hookup. The drivers side that goes to the oil fill cap goes in the back of carb. This is an original car with all original hoses.

John

Bondobax, the formed hoses as configured from the factory for your 302 were replaced by bulk PCV hose. Running a straight piece of hose to a vertical fitting on the PCV valve would result in an unsightly loop of hose at the front of the engine. Ford service PCV valves included a 90 degree snap on adapter that would allow the hose to run straight into the valve. The illustration is from the 73-79 Ford MPC and is a typical illustration. So some vehicle's will have a grommet in the rear of the passenger side valve cover and others will have a oil cap with the grommet for the plastic hose adapter. That hose runs to a filter in the air cleaner housing.  

I hope rackerm doesn't mind my using an illustration from an earlier post of his that shows an excellent view of the factory set up. I would contact him to see if he still has that set up and if he would like for it to find a new home with you!

73 pcv.JPG

73 5.0 pcv.jpg

David thanks for your reply, looking at your pics for the 351 the connection on the rear are different from mine; mine has the steel line as kindly provided in the image by Steve.

The image of the Ford setup really does help, confusing to look at at first glance because the illustration is looking from the rear of the engine facing to the front.

With the Ford part numbers I can see that  #6a664  equates to 351c http://www.cjponyparts.com/pcv-carburetor-hose-351c-1970-1973/p/PCVH4/ if that is the correct hose I will buy.

Hose #6853 is just a straight piece to the Elbow #6767 equates to https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=6767&parent=1&year=0

Grommet #6a892 equates to  https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_grommet_pcv_valve_c8sz_6a892_a-105598-397.html

The other parts I have already.

Thanks all :) I think I have enough information to fix it up correctly.

Edit just noticed on Steve's engine pics I'm also missing the vapour cannister hose, do we have a part # for that?

uk1973, the "6A664, 6853, 6A892, and 6767" are Ford basic numbers. I won't go into a lot of detail about that because it's easy to get lost in these part numbers. The combination of four letters or numbers in front of the basic number would identify the original vehicle application and the last letter would be the design or revision level. The "6853" hose running from the rear of the valve cover to the air cleaner was bulk PCV hose which I believe is 5/8". The DOAZ-6A664-C hose you referenced would probably work after you cut to size. It's original application is for 1970 351C's. Most venders have it listed for 70-73 351C  but is to short for the 71-73  351's.

I believe Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply has the DOAZ-6A664-C hose listed for $17.95.

Steve, thanks regarding "Ford Basic Numbering" when searching those numbers I was noting that the end letters were changing and some searches were referencing 68/69/70's and yea I came to the conclusion that it was a base number with revisions.

Luckily for me the DOAZ-6A664-C hose is available from one of the UK suppliers approx £23~ which makes it better to get here what with post and import duties to London, I do know from this site Don at Ohio Mustang Supply is the go-to guy with 71-3 mustangs. When I get a big order together he is top of my list. :)

John

Back