Boss 351 oil pan capacity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bondobax

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
I am building a B1 clone. I have a D2AE-Ca 4 bolt main block  but no oil pan. If I find a B1 oil pan does it hold 6 quarts of oil like I believe it does?

Also if I can not find a B1 dip stick, can I use the standard Cleveland one and recalculate the amount on the dip stick?

Bondobax, the last Boss 351 dip stick I saw on E Bay sold for over $500.00! The Boss 351 did run 6 qts and the dip stick was calibrated to reflect that. The capacity Ford listed was always WITH filter included. If you don't find an original Boss pan you can use the stock pan and just fill with 6 qts, run the engine, and then after a drain down period, mark the stick. The pan will now have five qts in the pan and one in the filter vs the four with one in the filter on the standard 351C.

And to add insult to an already crazy price on the Boss 351 stick, it had a plain black painted handle while at least on the Boss 302 you got a chrome handle!

Bondobax, the last Boss 351 dip stick I saw on E Bay sold for over $500.00! The Boss 351 did run 6 qts and the dip stick was calibrated to reflect that. The capacity Ford listed was always WITH filter included. If you don't find an original Boss pan you can use the stock pan and just fill with 6 qts, run the engine, and then after a drain down period, mark the stick. The pan will now have five qts in the pan and one in the filter vs the four with one in the filter on the standard 351C.

And to add insult to an already crazy price on the Boss 351 stick, it had a plain black painted handle while at least on the Boss 302 you got a chrome handle!
Thanks, did not think of that.

So ok if it is adding oil why could you not just see where the correct full line is cut the dip stick take out the 1/4" or what ever it turns out to be and TIG weld it back together and nobody would ever know the difference.

On the pan. If the pan is indeed larger and I think it had a windage tray also but cannot say for sure not a boss expert. If you put too much oil in and the crank hits it you will foam the oil and that is really bad. It also hammers the rod bearings against the oil surface. Over 800 more times denser than air is.

Does Ford not still make the Ford Racing pans for the 351?

When we cart raced if you only needed another tenth or two to move up in qualifying we would actually drain all the oil out and the engine would gain HP. There was no oil for the crank throws and rod to have resistance with. You only ran the lap to the green flag and then checker on the next and it did not hurt the engine. Hard to believe there is resistance to lots of oil but there is. Even during race conditions you only ran half the crankcase amount to gain power. You also washed all the grease out of your axle bearings and just washed them out with carb cleaner and sprayed with WD-40 between runs. The grease would also slow you down. BTW we never blew an engine in 7 years of racing.

Some shops use to knife edge the leading edges of the crank throws to reduce resistance also on the car engines we could not alter on the carts. You put the weight back into the counterweight by drilling holes cross ways and use Tungsten Carbide rods to put the weight back on for balance.

A dip stick end would be easy enough to reproduce not much there couple holes and some crosshatch and a few words.

This is link to some Boss info. http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1609-boss-351-engine-detailing/photo-10.html

The boss pan does hold 6qts and has a baffle and the pickup and a windage tray on the shallow end. Here a pic of the one I just pulled off of 1 of the bosses.

3d3a030b4d71ba7cb443679c1ef7429e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, I know over the years there has been a lot of discussion on the Boss pan. Most people I've heard from feel as though the pan was not larger but had unique baffling. If it was actually larger so as to accommodate the extra one qt of oil, then a different dip stick would not of been needed.

The problem Ford was trying to fix on the Boss 302 and 428, 429 performance engines was some oil return starvation problems. Since these were not purpose built racing engines with dry sump systems, a lot of them shared the same oil pumps, pickup tubes and oil pans as Dad's LTD. But on a typical Friday or Saturday night, if driven like my friends and I normally did, they got the #(&@*+! driven out of 'em. I remember seeing 60 MPH in 1st and 100 MPH in 2nd gear with a C6 and 3.25 gear in my 429 Gran Torino!  

Chuck had posted a copy of a fix Ford had implemented years ago to add extra oil and a revised dip stick to these "Week-End" warriors that were in the service drive Monday morning with blown engines. The oil requirement went to 7 qts with filter on the Boss 302, 428 CJ/SCJ and 429 CJ/SCJ. The only part requirement was a recalibrated dip stick. Since I had installed a 70/71 SCJ Torino oil cooler on my 72, I had to run 8 qts of oil, which was noted in the bulletin for engine oil cooler equipped cars. The fluctuating oil pressure readings I had been experiencing on some of those "Hard" runs disappeared after I made the oil capacity change.        

The Boss 351 pan is D1ZZ-6675-B (D1ZX-AA) The 71 351CJ pan is D1ZZ-6675-C (D1ZE-BA). The D1ZZ-C  CJ pan which replaced the "B" Boss pan was the service replacement listed for all 4bl 351C's by 1975. They were eventually replaced by the standard DOAZ-6675-A oil pan until around 1979 when the 351M/400 D7AZ-6675-A pan replaced all previous part numbers.

Good luck on your part search in Charlotte!       :)

David, I've seen some pans with the engineering number stamped in, some with a yellow ink stamping and others with nothing at all. The ones that were marked were on the bottom of the pan sump. Bad place considering what the speed bumps in the parking lots did for oil pans and headers.

Sure would like to make it to the Fall Auto Fair this year, but still out of state and to far away to make it. When the new Mustang Museum is completed that will be a treat for all Ford fans. The Auto Fair, Mustang Museum, and Dennis Carpenter will all be in a row on Concord Pkwy.

If you do find any pans with different numbers send me the numbers and I'll try to help ID them.

351 pan.jpg

Back