Suspension upgrade for this winter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hello :)

This what I have done so far to my 73

Rear suspension

New energy suspension brackets, bolts , bushings.

New standard Leaf Springs

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

Todo Sway bar

In the front

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

overhauled the Brakes and new brake booster

Borgeson power steeringbox /new coupler good feel

4 Wheel aligning

So this Winter I was planning on taking on the front suspension. When driving the car now it goes straight but feels wobbley in higher speeds. The bushings are rubber

but probably never replaced with new ones. The bearings works fine.

New springs 1 inch lowering

And all the bushing and rods etc.

Is there a good kit(upper , lower Control arms etc ) that will raise the performance better than original without braking the bank ?

Is there also a better Montecarlo bar then standard steel plates that sits between the shock Tower and firewall ?

I just dont understand the difference between all kits sold on Ebay etc. Is the performance gonna be stock ? are the better ? The look nearly the same regarding Control arms etc.

Regards Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't recall there name but they were in new jersey. they supplied everything i needed to do my '66 fairlane. no springs in kit but everything else. i think it was like $350 area. when i installed everything i found out the hard way that someone changed the steering linkage to a '67. so the end links didn't fit. i called and they send me the correct ones.. very nice kit.. i'll see if i keep the info and will post it.. but i'm sure u know to do the front springs u need the internal spring compressor. autozone has them to rent.

Rear suspension

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

Todo Sway bar

In the front

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

4 Wheel aligning

So this Winter I was planning on taking on the front suspension. When driving the car now it goes straight but feels wobbley in higher speeds. The bushings are rubber

Is there a good kit(upper , lower Control arms etc ) that will raise the performance better than original without braking the bank ?

Is there also a better Montecarlo bar then standard steel plates that sits between the shock Tower and firewall ?

I just dont understand the difference between all kits sold on Ebay etc. Is the performance gonna be stock ? are the better ? The look nearly the same regarding Control arms etc.

Regards Rob
Hello Robsweden,

Can you elaborate a bit more on the comment, "When driving the car now it goes straight but feels wobbley in higher speeds."? Does it feel wobbley in the steering?

mustang7173

Hello

The steering is fine. Its hard to explain. If you drive at 90 km/h and slightly turn the steering Wheel just a Little bit the car is wobbly. Not as distinct as I figure it should be. Sometimes when doing a turn I can feel something similar.  I wish It could be more rigid and stiff. At a meeting last week I talked to a guy who has a 72, he has redone all the bushing etc. His car is not suffering from this problem,

Of course I understand that its not a modern car, but it was a big improvment just changing the rear setup with new shocks and springs etc.

Regards Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob. I had the same issue you are having. I redid my front suspension last winter it drives like a go-cart now. I used all Moog upper and lower arms from Rock Auto. I did modify the lower control arms with a stiffener plate and installed a larger front sway bar. Shocks are KYB gas-a just (I think similar to what you are running) and 1" lowering springs. I also had my PS box converted to a quick ratio. I had considered going with expensive tubular arms etc but after talking to a few folks on here decided to go the stockish route and I am VERY happy with it.

Rob. I had the same issue you are having. I redid my front suspension last winter it drives like a go-cart now. I used all Moog upper and lower arms from Rock Auto. I did modify the lower control arms with a stiffener plate and installed a larger front sway bar. Shocks are KYB gas-a just (I think similar to what you are running) and 1" lowering springs. I also had my PS box converted to a quick ratio. I had considered going with expensive tubular arms etc but after talking to a few folks on here decided to go the stockish route and I am VERY happy with it.
Sounds great :)

Maybe I could copy your setup ?

Regards Rob

Rear suspension

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

Todo Sway bar

In the front

New Gabriel GAS Shocks

New Tyres

4 Wheel aligning

Regards Rob
Hello Robsweden,

Can you elaborate a bit more on the comment, "When driving the car now it goes straight but feels wobbley in higher speeds."? Does it feel wobbley in the steering?

mustang7173
Also, look at a sub frame connector like Global West.

http://www.globalwest.net/911.html

There a few members who have installed them.

mustang7173

Back