Why did you buy a 71-73 coupe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
The coupe in any year 1965-73 is probably the least favorite for the majority of Mustang lovers,compared to the fastback and convertibles. However some people prefer coupes and more specific the 71-73's. They are in general the least expensive bodystyle. That being said; Why do you own a coupe?

Couple of reasons. Like you stated they are more affordable. I also wanted to go a suttle restomod route with my car and the bode shape and style of the coupe in my opinion lends itself to that look.

I didn't specifically look for any particular vehicle let a lone a Mustang when looking for a project but being a Ford fan in the past and not being able to afford one of our sought after vintage Falcons I came across my 72 Coupe and apart from liking the body shape it was affordable. After looking at many vehicles on this site I still prefer the coupe to the fastback.

IMO the fastback does look fine especially with a decent set of boots on the back but I do find the rear of the car can look a bit too bulky especially with small wheels, a bit like our Falcon coupes.

I wanted a Mustang and my Grandé was a very decent car for very little money. Fastbacks are much more expensive and in my country 7123's are rare anyway. Before I found my Grandé I looked at a baby blue 73 coupe that was in bad shape. Then I checked out a 71 fastback that was rotting inside out. Third time lucky I found my Grandé and grabbed it with both hands. I'd prefer a Mach 1 but it's not really an option and my car has given me a lot of joy so far so no regrets and it's not going :)

1) Because it was my Grandfathers.

2) It is a better "sleeper" base, when the day comes that it is back together complete with brown vinyl top I just want to see some jaws drop at the autocross.

That being said I'd totally have a sports roof or a Mach if this wasn't a car that has been in the family.

1) was convenient

2) it was a one owner car with good documentation

3) it was an unmolested original

4) it was in pretty good shape to drive as was

5) it was cheeeeeeeeap!!!... I mean real cheap...

Anyway, I've always been more partial to the Coupes throughout the years they made both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have it anymore, but my first car was a 73 Grande. Call me crazy, but to this day I still like the lines in the rear better than a sports roof. Probably just a person bias for what I started out with, but I just like the look.

Back in the early 80's in France, 71-73 were not a common sight, and finding one for sale was even tougher.

The cars were relatively young, solid, fuel cheap. So most owners were enjoying them and won't let them go,

very understandable looking at the crap that was driving around at that time.

So after more than one year waiting and searching in all car papers I could lay my eyes on, finally found the perl in the shape of a 17yo junkyard ready, full option grandé, missing 50% of its parts,

damaged and powered by a very tired 2v cleveland.

I wanted perse a mustang, but had to be a 71-73. Coupe, fastback or vert (got a 429 fastback and would love a vert 72 302, just to be complete)

because to me, the line of this model was special. Despite critics claiming it was too big, I actually loved its volume much better than the earlier models.

Still do today, and in fact, as today's cars have gotten bigger, they aged better than the first gen.

As the thread is about the coupe vs fb,

The cons for me

The line of the coupe roof would have been nicer if roof height was similar to fb, so view from side, it would be less sharp to the eye on quarters.

The 73 front bumpers. No matter the body style, this thing must be removed first hour. It's an add-on that ford quickly added for new impacts laws and simply doesn't

pleases my eyes.

The grandé vinyl top. I know many like this 70's add-on. I never liked that thing, not only the straight chrome broke the line, it makes the car look anything but sporty.

Mine was damaged anyway, so 100+ welds further I got that much nicer shiny roof back.

The pros

The coupe is offering better visibility inside.

The trunk is more practical, On the fb, I somehow keep hit my head on the trunk lid :)

Can't explain why, but interior feels more cosy than in the fb.

For the rest they are identical to me, you get exact same thing. great handling, great power.

Regarding market price, for similar options/condition you get better deal on a coupe than a fb.

I have a '71 Grande, and after 40+ years of '65-'70 Mustangs, I have several reasons for going with this one.

First, as most of you know, the '71-'73 Mustangs ride and handle MUCH better than the previous models, even bone stock. The ride quality itself is reason enough. I do like the Sportsroof, too (had a '73 Mach 1), but there's something about that short rear end with that looonnnng ass hood that just looks awesome to me. Add in those very sleek "wings" off the rear of the roof, and I'm one hooked guy!

This one just sort of fell into my lap. 351 C with Edelbrock intake and carb, A/C, new paint, almost all new (black, which I definitely prefer) interior, and a very reasonable price, and I quickly sealed the deal. Couldn't be happier. Is it the nicest, most expensive, most impressive Mustang I've ever had? Not by a long shot, but I may well be enjoying it a lot more than the others, I'll tell you that! ::thumb::

It was my first experience learning to work on a car and owning a muscle car. I didn't really know too much about the different mustangs. I saw an add for a 71 coupe for $800 and I thought it would be a low buy in to a new hobby.

My dad and I bought my 72 Grande from my Aunt, who bought it new in 72. That was in 1991. We gave it some love, new paint and I still have it. I guess you fall in love with your first car, because I still love the body lines on the coupe. This one will be my daughters car when she is ready.

My dad also found a 73 fastback for my brother that had been wrecked and we restored it together. It was nothing but car and an engine. No A/C/, no PS....bare bones car.....but it sure looked good when it was done. That was a good time. After we painted it, my best friend and I took it on a road trip to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Colorado, and back to NM during college break. My brother was still in high school....and was a few months out from getting his drivers license. I still give him hell about taking his car out on the maiden voyage!

I may be in the minority, but I bought a coupe over a sportsroof purely by aesthetic preference. Not because of price or because it was what I had access to. In fact, I had a choice at the time between a very basic v8 coupe and a red Mach1 (both '71s), and I just loved the coupe's body lines more and went for that. As Mustangfeverrr stated, the visual effect of the long hood with the short rear looks awesome IMO, and the buttresses at the rear window look slick. Of course, visibility is a huge plus, but the lines on the coupes just do it for me. Also, I've always loved Mustang coupes of any year. I guess I like their subtlety and demeanor.

I was just looking for a car, did not care what kind, just some wheels.

A friend of a friend had a '71 Grande in decent condition and it ran.

So I bought it. Only later to learn this is one of 100 made according to Marti.

A '71 Grande M-code w/toploader. Some days you just get lucky.

mike

I was nearing retirement in 2015 and wanted to rekindle my car hobby from that I had soon after I graduated college in 1985 buying a '64 Corvette (327/365) and a couple of years later adding a '68 (327/350), both coupes. I did a full mechanical resto on the '64 and a bit of tweaking on the '68 thoroughly enjoying those nights and weekends in the garage. Children came and the Corvette's became a Suburban and a Honda Civic. Roll forward to pre-retirement I wanted another car to toy and I did not care if it was a Chevy, Mopar or Ford. I also did not want to spend what it would take to have my Corvett's back. With an unfortunate fate of my FIL's funeral my BIL made mention of a neighbor who was in a bad financial situation, his business suffering, house in foreclosure..., and had a '73 Mach 1 he needed to sell. I asked for photos and a price. All looked great as did the fact that my BIL had known him for 12 years watching him spend money on the car for the duration. It was a Q-Code, factory 4 speed, A/C, PS, PB, fold down deluxe interior SoCal car... I bought it sight unseen from my job in Korea.

Well for me there’s a little history on the car that I have. 11 years ago my stepdad had sold his car to the guy he had originally bought it from and up until a month ago we had figured the car had been either scrapped or was rotting in a field. Me and a buddy of mine were scrolling through kijiji just killing time and he stumbled upon an ad of someone selling a 73 mustang and my jaw nearly hit the ground when I saw it. Anyways to make a long story short went to look at the car and turns out it was the exact car he had sold and I had confirmed it by a few of the rust spots plus an old invoice of work that was done to the front end had his name on it. Best part of this is he had no idea till him and my mom stopped by 2 weeks after I got it and he saw it in the driveway

Same reason as a lot of people, cost. I love the fastbacks but couldn't find any in my price range. I had just graduated from college and gotten married months after. I was always into imports before that and wanted to try my first muscle car. Over the years I have begun to become extremely attached to coupes. They have just as much potential to look great. Maybe because I view them as a kind of underdog, who doesn't like to root for the underdog. Haha. Something that not many people restore or have. Now I just can't bring myself to part from my coupe. Be it a coupe or a fastback, they still turn heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because that's the project my Dad hauled home

Back