engine miss

My engine has a miss that I can't figure out. I have new autoilite 42 sparkplugs and new ignition wires. I also have a 1406 Edelbrock carburetor. I just changed the fuel filter. I was going to play with the timing next. Is there something else I should look at?. My car is stock except for the carb.

John J

Did you check the float levels on the carb when you installed it or make any rod/spring/jet changes to the carb?

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

Did you check the points for correct gap/dwell? How about the distributor cap and rotor?

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

If it is a constant miss, (dead miss) I'd move the inductive pickup of the timing light to all 8 plug wires to see if spark is occurring reliably on all 8 cylinders. If you have consistent  spark at all 8, I'd suggest doing a compression test to find the bad cylinder. Once you identify the bad cylinder, pull the valve cover on that side and check to see if something has gone wrong with the pushrod, rocker arm, valve spring, etc. If that is all good, do a leak down check to determine the source of the compression leak (intake, exhaust, rings).

If it is an intermittent miss,