1971 Power Window master bezel removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
While working on my car today I dropped something in my door and now I need to remove the door panel to retrieve it.  It looks like I need to remove the power window master switch bezel before I remove the door panel, correct?  If that's correct is there a trick to removing it?

TIA!

Unfortunately the tabs on mine are broken so it comes off by itself so I can't give you any advice on how to safely remove it.

But I can confirm that the bezel helps keeping the door panel attached.

The drivers control is not so bad but the others are. You have to take a thin flat tool and slide under the end of the chrome bezel and push the spring clip to release then. There is one on each end. You cannot find the clips and when you do they are $45, be careful they just fall off when the clips are released.

Some of the pictures are from the WCCC site and show the clips on the switches. Some I made showing a section of door panel and very small screw driver being used to release the spring. You can see the relief cast into the bezel where the clip release should be. If it does not just pop off easy then the clips are not released, never force it.

The wire harness for the P.W. and Door Speakers are like gold so do not damage it.

Taking a door panel off can lead to all kinds of improvements, lol.

While you have the panel off it is a good time to clean the dried grease off the window guide rod and regulator and put fresh grease on. You can also do the same for the window motor drive. The old white grease is not the way to go use the Lucas Oil Red N Tacky #2 it is a much better grease. Check to see that your anti rattle clips are still in the window guide around the rod. If the window is flopping around the guides or guide has came out. You should also vacuum out any dirt or trash inside the door and maybe brush some fresh sealer in the bottom to keep the door from rusting.

If someone took the vapor barrier off the door put another on to keep the moisture from getting to your door panels.

Have fun not difficult just takes some time.

private image upload

Just wanted to follow up and say that the directions above worked perfectly. On the passenger side (since I was living up the windows why not do the passenger side too) it actually took a little longer to find the clip put I did find that it was much easier if you press the bezel towards the door as you try to release it.

Also when removing the people switches I found the best way to remove them was just to place a finger on the top and bottom of the housing and rock it up and down until it came free.

One of my wonderful reproduction switches disintegrated when I tried to install it which I'm kind of miffed about especially at $50 a pop but that's reproduction quality for you.

Just wanted to follow up and say that the directions above worked perfectly.  On the passenger side (since I was living up the windows why not do the passenger side too) it actually took a little longer to find the clip put I did find that it was much easier if you press the bezel towards the door as you try to release it.

Also when removing the people switches I found the best way to remove them was just to place a finger on the top and bottom of the housing and rock it up and down until it came free.

One of my wonderful reproduction switches disintegrated when I tried to install it which I'm kind of miffed about especially at $50 a pop but that's reproduction quality for you.
Good to hear it went ok. One of the members did have some NOS Ford switches. Don't remember his tag but he lived in Wake Forest, NC I believe. Might look him up on the map or run an ad looking for them.

Back