Custom trans oil cooler lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
My FMX oil cooler lines are rusty and hanging there, plus top one on radiator has a damaged flange and leaks a bit. So I want replace them.

Got this wonderfull company near my home making custom braided lines for +-10 euros a meter.

I just wonder if anyone did similar and have some recommendations for the routing?

I think it's just one of those things you have to just lay out with a piece of wire to figure out the best routing and exact length needed. Look for places to put a clamp about every 500-600cm or so. You dont want the to get in the way of anything but you dont want too much of a section unclamped to prevent the hose from getting tangled in something you might run over.

You might also consider an in line transmission filter like this.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1155?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-trans-dapt-performance-products&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt1TdESLSuo0sz9yu0VwN_NtlPTM_4HgxqyTvIwrT6IgPBx_E1uALtsaApXNEALw_wcB

And a quality auxiliary transmission cooler.

You can also connect a temp gauge in the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my own lines from steel lines. They finish around the motor mounts. Then Its rubber hose going back and forth to the standalone cooler. Never use the built transmission cooler in the original cooler, Always use a standalone transmission cooler.

Regards Rob

[500-600cm]

longer than the car, they will sure hang :D

I plan FMX to AOD swap later on, so don't want invest in a cooler or anything before the AOD is in place, for space/fittings/unknown reasons.

for now, simply want get rid of the leak and the ugly rusty. I saw new ones are 50-70 dollars, but with transport+taxe, so i'm better off with custom ones.

I've never placed lines that goes from body to "moving" parts. So I was wondering if I need more than just the lines. brackets holding the lines etc..

From your answers, seams it's a no brainer and it will be another nice day under the car...

thx for the replies guys!

A friend of mine ran lines in his bronco, secured them in multiple ways. If you check ebay you can find every manner of hose management devices.

transcoolerlines.jpg

bmtranscooler2.jpg

permacooltransfilter.jpg

[Lol, well I was off by a factor of 10, damn metric system. Lol]

:D

for me, looks like the most complicated part will be to measure the fittings and order the right ones, damn non metric system! :)

thx for the picts Jowens

That's why I suggested using some wire. If you have 10 feet of battery cable laying around that would be ideal. You don't have to cut it, just put tape where a fitting would attach. Then measure the hose, add a couple of inches for safety, then put the transmission fitting on. Connect it, run to each clamp, secure it. Then route to the next connector, trim if required or just put the next fitting on.

My FMX oil cooler lines are rusty and hanging there, plus top one on radiator has a damaged flange and leaks a bit. So I want replace them.

Got this wonderfull company near my home making custom braided lines for +-10 euros a meter.

I just wonder if anyone did similar and have some recommendations for the routing?
see:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-3-transmission-cooler-nos
eddyw,

I believe Motorcity Mustang has got it wrong. According to the Ford Master parts Catalog, 3D746 Cooler Assy. Power Steering Oil.

Just FYI.

Thanks

mustang7173

@Jowens1126

Was referring to the fittings size and thread for the two at trans and on radiator.

As we use metrics over here for decades, when I come to places with inch/feet sizes, I always get some round eyes staring at me and a long moment of silence... :)

In this case, I'll bring them the old ones for reference so I don't have to worry.

The braided lines I'll get back will be pressed in one piece, braided line with 2 fittings.

To define the line length itself, I'll be using electric house wires.. no biggy really.

@Eddyw

thx, I definitely will look at cooling options once I'll have an AOD underneath.

@mustang7173

I'll prolly go for something like this

Just to be complete for those wanting to do similar.

So first removed the old rusty ones... and cut the old fittings to reuse them to place a hose

to clean up the cooler in radiator without making a mess, and to deliver them to the guys together

with my desired length. The upper one on radiator and fitting behind the FMX, 249 cm and 194 cm for the other going to the trans side.

Because the fitting behind requires a very specific shape to return in forward direction, the guys were able to copy the curves

so the new fitting would have a metal tube before connect to the flexible part.

At first I went for braided ones with rubber inside, but because of the inner diameter, the rubber and the braided stainless

was leading to quite big lines, slightly smaller than fuel lines. The alternative option, which I took, was to order them

with inner teflon tubing, much more durable and giving a nice and thin line. Downside was the price per meter that doubled to a +- 25 dollars

and an extra week waiting as they were not available...

Because of this inner tubing, they are less flexible than the rubber ones, and this make the install a breeze!

None of the brackets I was planning to make were necessary. However, I was more than happy I've delivered the old fittings

with a few inches of the old lines for the one behind. No way I would have been able to place them without greater length

if the fitting would have been made on a generic way.

and here are the babies in place..

Back