shocks and leaf springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedawg77

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible 351c 2v
going to be changing all shocks and new leaf springs on my 73 convertible.. any tips or suggestuons ti make it easier ? pb blaster already and tiok out rear seat ti get to those wonderful bolts .. also found a small rust hole when i removed rhe seat  :mad: how do i fix that ? about the size of a quarter maybe alittle bigger.  ...pics of my mustang will cone today

going to be changing all shocks and new leaf springs on my 73 convertible.. any tips or suggestuons ti make it easier ? pb blaster already and tiok out rear seat ti get to those wonderful bolts .. also found a small rust hole when i removed rhe seat  :mad: how do i fix that ? about the size of a quarter maybe alittle bigger.  ...pics of my mustang will cone today
If it not going to be an all out show car just a driver I would just clean the rust off brush on some POR to stop the rust and put some fiberglass mat and resin over the hole. Several layers will keep the mice and water out. Usually a rust hole under the rear seat in a vert means that your rain gutter is not draining out through the quarter like it should. Be sure and check to see that water is going out and not under the seat. That is another reason not to wash these cars with hose or car wash. I just feeds the rust.

You might need an air chisel to knock the bolts out of the eyes in the springs if really rusty.

To fix the hole you have several options, but first you need to remove the rust and treat the metal.

1) weld in a bit of sheet metal and dress the welds to make it neat. Works well if you have decent surrounding metal to weld to, but odds are it is thin in the area.

2) use a bead of seam sealer to glue down a small metal patch. Spread the underside with a putty knife to make it neat

3) cut out the section of the floor and replace with reproduction metal-I would not do this unless there were a lot of problem areas.

front shocks are in was really easy !! got mustang lifted sitting on stands tires off got nut off of both eyelets on leaf springs and got jack to hold rear axle and got 3 out of 4 ubolts done i will do the rest of ubolts tomorrow as well as removing bolts from springs. .hoping to have it done tomorrow

Back