New gas tank what did i do wrong

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Got new tank in and everything on and tight, put the new sender in finangling the gasket thought i had everything ingood and tight, started putting gas in and it started leaking like crazy at the sending unit, help please

Thomas

Got new tank in and everything on and tight, put the new sender in finangling the gasket thought i had everything ingood and tight, started putting gas in and it started leaking like crazy at the sending unit, help please

Thomas
You need to put grease on both sides of the rubber gasket where sending unit mates to tank. If not, when you tighten up the sending unit the gasket gets twisted and leaks. Ask me how I know...lol

Thomas
 Ok, Here's what I did. Mind you I did this before putting in 5 gallons of gas, or 1/4 full so I could calibrate the sending unit. Don't care about the top 3/4's only when is it going to run out!

I posted before on replacing the entire fuel system if you care to search. If you have NOT replaced your fuel lines, I strongly suggest you do. Mine were rusted almost through, see picture. (and that's a good part of it!!)

As for the gasket on the sending unit, it is hard to keep in place while tightening the lock ring. Use a dab of grease on the rubber ring and it will stay in place. The rubber gasket ring is supposed to be gas proof, so a little grease won't hurt anything.

If you jack up the car on the left side as high as you can and depending on how much gas you put in, you can remove the sender unit without losing more gas. You may need TWO jacks on the left side as I found one will just lift the entire back end. If you have more than 5g's you may need to syphon some out first.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

I just pulled mine out a couple weeks ago and it did not have a gasket just an o-ring. I just put a little black RTV on to hold it when I went back and no leak. I did change all the rubber lines to alcohol resistant but I put only non alcohol fuel back in. My tank and lines were spotless clean I guess because no alcohol ever in it was parked last 25 years. I even blew air from back to front and nothing came out.

The Marathon stations here have non alcohol gas and the local Citco does also so not hard to get but $3.00 a gallon 91 octane.

I just pulled mine out a couple weeks ago and it did not have a gasket just an o-ring. I just put a little black RTV on to hold it when I went back and no leak. I did change all the rubber lines to alcohol resistant but I put only non alcohol fuel back in. My tank and lines were spotless clean I guess because no alcohol ever in it was parked last 25 years. I even blew air from back to front and nothing came out.

The Marathon stations here have non alcohol gas and the local Citco does also so not hard to get but $3.00 a gallon 91 octane.
 You're right, not a gasket per-se, but a square section rubber ring.

I do agree, the alcohol is VERY likely to cause rusting over time. As mentioned before, it turned out my old tank must have been a replacement as it was tern-coat steel, so that is why my tank was NOT rusted. The lines, yeah well!

Wish I could get CHEAP non-alcohol (ethanol) fuel here for $3 a gallon (3.78 liters that is!) I'm paying around $5.20 Can. a US gallon right now, $6.30 imperial gallon. Thanks Harvey!

Latest posts

Back