New gas tank part 2

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Ok, the grease trick worked good, however when i put everything back together and tightened the metal ring as far as it will go i can still grab hold of the gas tube and move the sending unit around a tiny bit is that okay?  Seems if i can do that it will still leak, thanks

Thomas

No, just did mine a while back and changed vent cap by another sending unit: there should be no play at all.

The sending tube nipple points down toward front of the car in direction of metal fuel line.

No need fill that tank, it will leak again. the grease may delay a bit but it will not for long.

The sending unit has 3 metal "ears" or whatever that's called in english. If you place the sending unit correctly, they fit the tank

having the counter shapes. if you place the gasket, then the sending unit with this 3 ears, and push a bit it must be already tight

the ring adds pressure and it can't be moving at all.

so from previous thread, i'd say :

1: you do not place it in right order, tank --> gasket --> sending unit --> ring

2: you do but the tank isn't having the right shape

3: you do but sending unit is not for this tank

Can you dismantle and post picts of the parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of pictures from my previous post; "Fuel system replacement - 71 Mach 1" Take a look at that thread if you wish.

It sounds like the sender is not seated correctly in the notches, but a s Fabrice pointed out, it's tank, rubber ring, sending unit, lock ring. The lock ring has a wedge action as it is turned, can't remember which way it goes, but not hard to figure out.

I had major trouble with the original sending unit I bought (from RockAuto, not their fault). It turned out that the manufacturer got it wrong and had the tube facing the opposite direction. I actually reused my original with a new filter and new lock ring kit, while I reordered a Dorman 692232, which is a better stainless steel version.

I had no issues with leakage, but do not reuse an old  rubber ring unless it is a new one that you are trying to get to seal if you get my meaning.

when u put the ring on i'll assume it turned very easily.. thats a no no.. u might get it half way and then tap it on fully. ck the old gasket compared to the new one. new must be thinner. but end thing is do not put gas in it. that sending unit needs to be tight and not turn at all.. u don't need to grease the gasket but the surface where the lock down ring goes a little spray lube helps, but again u will not get it all the way by hand.

sorry i just re-read your orig post.. and it's been 4 yrs since i did it on the fairlane.. i don't recall the name of the gasket glue (lack of better word), but i got it a NAPA in a can with brush and it's blue. did a little smear on tank then put oring on let it sit and then installed sending unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back