73 Mach 1 rear window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
Ever since I got my 73 Mach 1 I have always noticed that the rear window doesn't offer too much viewing area. Just now I calculated it to be around 4.7 inches :-/ of viewing height. This is not what I would call a lot by many standards. I had a, what I think, cool idea. I want to get a flush mount rear view camera and recess/french it to mimic the trunk lock but right above it.

The red dot is where I would like to put the reverse cam

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments or question are appreciated.

Yeah I've seen those too. The way I'm thinking of doing it will make it look like it belongs there not just an after thought. I'm going for a nice clean look.

Thanks for the reply

great idea:) i know when i pull into a parking lot or changing lanes its a pain in the arse too see out of the bunker<~~ what i call all fast back mustangs of are years...seems like your looking out little slots in a pillbox..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of vision out the back and out the passenger side was the first thing I fixed when I got my car on the road. I put two cameras in with two screens mounted underneath the dash overhang.

I think putting camera's on these cars is kind of uncool, so I made sure mine were as unobtrusive as possible. The rear camera I placed in the corner of the license plate bumper cut-out, and it can hardly be seen because the black license plate behind it hides it fairly effectively:

cam2.jpg

The second reversing cam I originally placed inside the car behind the top of the passenger seat belt roof anchor point, and pointing it on the correct angle to view the rear passenger quarter blind-spot. Two things made me change the position of it though; firstly the wide-angle lens in the reversing camera made everything far too small, and secondly when I put the wind down windows in I didn't want the camera to be seen from the outside when the side windows were down. So I bought a "spy-cam" instead and mounted it in the position shown in the photo below which is quite difficult to be seen from outside the car. I chose the "spy-cam" because it was small and also doesn't have the wide-angle distortion that the reversing cam does, and the lens of the cam looks like a phillips head screw so even if you do see it then it's not obvious that it is a camera. Whole cars can hide in the blind-spot (especially if they are pacing you there while checking out the Mustang), and this camera has made changing lanes in the fastback a dream. For me also there is the scenario of driving a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country, so basically when I merge onto a freeway I'm on the wrong side of the car to see what traffic is beside me as I merge.

cam1.jpg

The pic below shows the screens. I picked black screens with chrome edging that suits the dash trim without looking too out of place. When I took this picture the car shown in the screen was completely invisible behind the C-pillar. I use this screen every single time that I change lanes on the highway - no more stress! The other screen which shows directly to the rear - I find I hardly look at this one except when backing out of my driveway so I don't run over any toddlers (or senior-citizens on low-rider scooters :D ). The position of that cam sometimes means it gets fogged up in winter when driving at speed, but a reversing camera is useless at speed anyway so I'm not really concerned about that.

cam_3.jpg

What about using he hole for the trunk lock cylinder? I have a remote latch from a '70 something Ford and have a button in the glove box. I think putting with putting the camera there, you could always remove it later and just reinstall the lock cylinder if needed

I hadn't thought about that but then I would have to find a camera to fit the lock hole which I think sounds easy said than done. I'll check for one any how.

Thanks for the idea

I'd like to do this too, awesome job Flatblack!

I like the idea of putting the lens next to the tag light; that way you don't screw up the trunk lid. Or maybe drill a hole in the back-up light lens and put it in there. The lens is easier to replace than a trunk lid.

I had the same idea a few months ago , i placed the camera above the licenceplate.

I bought a set on the bay that came with a rearview mirror with a little screen in it , when you shift to reverse the left corner of the rearviewmirror becomes a little tv-screen.

Only bad thing is that the new rearview mirror is a bit big and doesn't look good to the car.

Now i'm trying to build that stuff into a original mustang rearviewmirror ( it's a tight fit but will do )

Building it above the licenceplate doesn't give you a huge overview , but you can see what you're missing in the original mirror.

John

Another reason to own a convertible!

I always joked with people that when I had my Mach 1 you could see both the top and bottom of the window. It was worse when I put some air shocks on the back to jack it up to clear tires (I was only 16 and had no idea what I was doing...)

Being 6'3", the rear visibility doesn't bother me much. I can see just fine out the rear window. The PS blind spot is simply just knowing what's around you at all times, or just accelerate a bit to make sure nothing is hiding behind the sail panel.

If you want a car with horrible rear visibility, try a 70-71 Torino fastback. Much longer in the rear, the rear trunklid has a built in spoiler, and the quarters are "coke-bottled" or bulged out and block half the Sport mirrors. THAT car was a PITA to drive, a 71-73 Mustang sportsroof is cake by comparison.

Being 6'3", the rear visibility doesn't bother me much. I can see just fine out the rear window. The PS blind spot is simply just knowing what's around you at all times, or just accelerate a bit to make sure nothing is hiding behind the sail panel.

If you want a car with horrible rear visibility, try a 70-71 Torino fastback. Much longer in the rear, the rear trunklid has a built in spoiler, and the quarters are "coke-bottled" or bulged out and block half the Sport mirrors. THAT car was a PITA to drive, a 71-73 Mustang sportsroof is cake by comparison.
I'm not a tall person but have noticed that the roofline of my Mach I is the best and the worst feature of the car. I love the appearance of the line but the view out the mirrors is terrible. Back in 1980 I replaced the factory rear view mirror with a five panel wide view made by Wink. I recently saw them in O'Reilly's parts store. It takes a little time to get used to it but, after you do, it is really nice. Someone could actually walk 360 degrees around the car and by using your mirrors and forward sight, they would never be out of your view. Check out the picture.

Dr Dew

Bailey Park 1 1024 pixels.jpg

Back