Steering Pump noise and leak

I have a steering pump that was remanufactured by Lee Manufacturing (not longer in business) in early 2015. I used it for about 2 years (~1,000 miles) with no noise issues. When installing it, I followed the recommended purge procedure and used only transmission Type F fluid. I checked the fluid level often and it was within range.

Last week I took the car for a ride and after making a U-turn the pump started to make the typical "cavitation" noise. Low noise when driving straight, heavier noise when turning. When I parked the car and after turning the engine off, a lot of foamy steering fluid came out of the fill tube. I tried several times, and it would leak every time only after the engine was stopped.

I let it rest for a few days, refilled it, and purged it by turning the steering end-to-end several times. Drove it for a few miles, turned the engine on and off several times. It didn't leak anymore, but still had a faint cavitation noise. Today, I took the car for a drive and the faint cavitation noise was still there. When turning the steering the noise will get higher. Then I turned the steering couple times back-and-forth and the noise got worse. After I turned the engine off I got the leak again through the fill tube. I have the feeling that there is something wrong with the pump. Right now there are no other leaks in the system besides the one out of the fill tube after then engine is turned off. All the hoses are new, the steering box was also remanufactured by Lee and shows no obvious leaks. The only piece left from the old system is the cooler. Any ideas? When the pump was remanufactured they stated that they calibrate the pump for the "heavier valve" of the modified steering box. How is this calibration done? I have a "new" remanufactured pump that I could try, but I am wondering if I really need this calibration.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Toc Toc...

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

This may be overkill but I ditched the stock trans cooler in favor of a medium sized B&M transmission cooler and everything seems to be working well with my power steering system. In Oklahoma it gets really hot in the summer and I am sure the extra cooling capacity makes a difference. Good luck..

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

pump is likely bad. I switched to a Saginaw style (looks like old school canned ham) and have not had an issue since.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

pump is likely bad. I switched to a Saginaw style (looks like old school canned ham) and have not had an issue since.

Which one you got? Do you have a model or link? Did you keep the steering box?

I had my box rebuilt and converted to quick ratio by powersteering.com. I got the pump and new pulley kit from CVF Racing in MN. It was an easy install and very nice quality. Steering is a smooth as can be and the belts and pulleys don't slip at all. They are a ribbed flat belt as opposed old vbelt.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

I had my box rebuilt and converted to quick ratio by powersteering.com. I got the pump and new pulley kit from CVF Racing in MN. It was an easy install and very nice quality. Steering is a smooth as can be and the belts and pulleys don't slip at all. They are a ribbed flat belt as opposed old vbelt.

Do you have A/C?

I have an AC car but it wasn't working so when I did the motor I pulled the underhood stuff off and set aside. I ordered the pulley kit for without AC. If I decide to go back with AC they have a kit that is the correct bracket to swap out without having to buy a whole new set up.

- Jason

- Jason

Is the Saginaw upgrade worth it over the Ford pump?

Brackets are expensive. Did anyone trying doing your own?

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a Saginaw pump to check fitment. I think that with a few tweaks it will fit great under the A/C. I figured I can reuse the current bracket after doing a few mods. My only unknown is how will the box work with the pressure created by the Saginaw. I don't think the pressure difference would be that great. After all, aren't our steering boxes Saginaw anyway?

As for pulley diameter I will try finding one with the same diameter as the current pump.

I won't be testing it for a while since my engine is out.