Chrome water pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi! What are your experiences with chrome water pumps? I'm mostly concerned with the finish/quality. I purchased a pump from NPD for over $100 and when I got it everything was chromed but not the low spots and nooks and crannies, looked like crap. Who sells one that is 100% chromed? Thanks!

[Who sells one that is 100% chromed? ]

I don't know who, but even if you find one that looks good on picture and affordable, not sure you would really get the expected.

The chrome process works best on convex shapes. The original pump volume is concave, meaning lots of cavities will have

less chrome applied because of the electro plating principle, where the chromium particules are attracted to the nearest surface.

Ideally you would need bath the pump a few times with the electrodes moved till these cavities are well covered, which would make the pump more expensive.

The other prob is that the pump casing is casted and its hard or near impossible to polish certain area's. So even if a thin layer

is applied, the surface being rough, it will not have a smooth mirror look. You will also get less protection in these areas.

If you want shinny look, I think you should get better results with a polished aluminum one.. Also much more durable (on finish).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hate relationship with anything chrome on an engine. Chrome to me usually means leaks. Thermostat housings, water pumps, and oil pans mainly. If it's chrome, it usually will leak sooner or later.

Ditto on the above post, I have never had any luck with chrome parts on an engine. Use lot of rtv silicone if you end up using the chrome water pump.

I've seen radiator hoses slide off chrome water pump outlets more than once. If you go that route, rough up the surface where the hose clamps are located.

Back