Oil Pressure Gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Does anyone know the range of a factory oil gauge? My gauge reads near the top of its range. There is a high and low mark then two hash marks inside of those. My gauge reads about 90% of the way between the two hash marks and dips to around 75% when the car is hot and at idle. My mechanic thinks this is too high. Also, what is the pressure between the hash marks in PSI?

Thanks.

mike

'71 M-code

I have the same problem and I would suggest putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to check the actual pressure. The gauge in the car might need to be calibrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem and I would suggest putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to check the actual pressure. The gauge in the car might need to be calibrated.
We plan on using a mechanical gauge out of curiosity. Clevelands have a reputation for having an inadequate oiling system. When we recently removed the valve covers there was oil everywhere. Obviously not a problem.

mike

mines about the same, with out a mechanical metered gauge its hard to know the exact pressure.

when cold the oil gauge reads to the Tick just before H, when hot it drops down around 75%, and goes up and down depending on engine rpms, to just under the tick before H when cruising.

the factory manual says the gauge will be High side of center when warm, never drive the car with the gauge on L.

mines about the same, with out a mechanical metered gauge its hard to know the exact pressure.

when cold the oil gauge reads to the Tick just before H, when hot it drops down around 75%, and goes up and down depending on engine rpms, to just under the tick before H when cruising.

the factory manual says the gauge will be High side of center when warm, never drive the car with the gauge on L.
Ok, cool. My gauge is working as it should.

Thanks for the input.

mike

+1

When cold, mine reads 90% of the full range just below the H mark regardless of whether in idle or cruisin. When really hot, it is at 30% of the range when idling, going up to just below H when at or above 2000 rpm.

- Manfred

Back