Can I leave it like this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

The winter break starts early for me this year as I don't have any budget to fix this right now:

c0410ca4a52c37d4185c882b48919687.jpg

I want to get new Continental tyres before next summer, not yet. Can I leave the car like this (jack stand under axle) all through the winter:

2e43a259d7be0ccba3ac9e1f97298b04.jpg

?

Cheers,

Vincent

Sure that will not hurt anything. Some people put the car up on four stands to keep the tires from flat spotting. Under axle housing in back like you have. In the front you should support under the A arms so they are not hanging putting stress on the rubber parts. There are special tools to do this between the frame and upper arm but you can just put something under the lower arm and be ok.

With chrome wheels lots of times the chrome cracks and the air leaks out under the chrome.

I would try not to let it set on a flat tire for long periods of time, the sidewalls will have cracks galore in them within a few months. Like the others said if you have to leave it for a while put it on jack stands to keep the tires alive a while longer.

As long as the weight is supported by the axles it is where it belongs. I would not keep a car on stands that were under the frame though.

Mix you up some soapy water and put around the tire, (tyre) and see if it is leaking around the tire bead. If it is you will probably have problems with the new tires also. Like I had mentioned before the chrome gets very small cracks and the air escapes very slowly. Ford actually had a recall on the 2005 Thunderbird I believe because of the tiny cracks in the plating on the factory installed wheels. I guess you could go around the wheel and find where the leak is and mark it and when you pull the tire off see if you can see the place and maybe grind the chrome off to stop the leak.

This is another reason I do not like chrome wheels. Aluminum has no plating and holds better. You could always go to a tube but radial tires do not like tubes and require a special one due to all the sidewall movement.

This is a link that discusses the issue and their Discount tire dealer says they see it every day. Very prevalent in Chrysler & Lexus wheels.

https://www.truedelta.com/pieces/chromewheels.php

Here is another link that talks about the issue and their solutions. I see they recommend that you use the dry nitrogen to fill any alloy wheel so there is not moisture to start the corrosion.

http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/services/corrosion-and-leak-repair/

Ford's solution on some wheels like my 2002 F-150 was to use steel wheels and then glue a chrome plated plastic cover onto the steel wheel. The tire is seated on the steel wheel and the chrome is like a permanent wheel cover. They do not leak.

If it is leaking around the tire fill valve you can have them put some RTV around it after cleaning and might help. Some people actually put sealer around the tire bead also. Chrome wheels are a PIA in my opinion. I have Magnum 500 wheels on one of my cars and will probably pull off due to leaks.

Another situation where we had leaks through the cracks in chrome was on Nitrogen filled Die Springs used in Automotive stamping dies. The nitrogen would slowly leak out we would rebuild the cylinders with all new seals and  still leak. It turned out when they viewed the chrome under electron microscope they could see the tiny cracks and changed their plating process to fix the issue. Those cylinders have thousands of pounds of pressure in them.

I'd get that tyre (tire) off the ground or at least totally off the weight. It will crack the inside walls which can be catastrophic. Beside, how much does it cost in Europe to fix a leaking tire/wheel?

Just my humble opinion.

Geoff.

These tyres are old and dry and need to be replaced soon anyway coz I doubt they're safe. So no worries about breaking side walls. Might pumpit up and do the soap test.

Thanks!

Seems like everyone is afraid of old tires. I bought a mustang in Michigan that had tires at least 13 years old had been sitting that long. Put front wheels on dolly and towed non stop back to NC. 60 - 70 mph no issue. I have a 1950 Ford that has it's original first set of tires, 67 years old and they do not leak air, tubes in them. I have not driven since 1996 but drove 100 miles on July 4th. then and again no issues. I guess everyone has questions about how safe they are. I know there was discussion of the date codes on the tires being an inspection point here but now you don't have to pass inspection after 35 years old.

Pictures are when I pulled out of pole barn and took to garage. Tires have not been touched since 1996 and sat on the dirt.

At least go out and burn the treads off them doing big burn outs, lol.

But I grew up in a different time when I could go buy a recapped tire for $10.00 or less and that was expensive considering that was 10 hours pay back in the 60's. It was nothing to have a blow out back then. Times have changed for sure.

image upload

As long as the weight is supported by the axles it is where it belongs. I would not keep a car on stands that were under the frame though.
Good point, now who put jack stands under the frame to store a car in the first place :p

[dutch]

Vinnie, voor 10 euro kan je je band laten repareren bij euro master of degelijk. Ze zetten een plug van binnen...

Wiel los maken en die daar brengen. Klaar binnen 15 minuten. Kan je dan ook je auto gebruiken/verplaatsen.

[end dutch]

Was saying he can by the local tire shop let the tire be repaired, usually they put a melting plug from within.

This way he can move/use the car. As he just bought a 3 stories high garage, would be handy to be able to move the stang while working

on the garage itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would boost the jack stand(s) up a little higher, and refill the tire(s) - making sure they don't touch the floor.  That way, the sidewalls won't be deformed as it sits there all winter.  When the air leaks out again, the tire shape will stay true without any weight on the wheels, which will also save the sidewalls from any permanent damage.  You're still going to need to roll it out of the garage and whatnot at some point anyway - might as well help the tires last as long as you can.

Back