What transmission fluid for a rebuilt 1970 C6 ??????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 73 has a C6 tranny and 429 motor from a 1970 Torino in it,,, I have the tranny pan off to replace the shift lever seals and have also drained the torque converter.  

The tranny was rebuilt in 1987 and has about 20,000 miles on it since. Never a moments trouble except for a leaky pan and now the shift lever seal,, have a new pan and better pan gasket, and seals but am unsure of what fluid to use.  There was no residue of any kind in the pan when I pulled it.

I have no details on the rebuild or on the fluid that was used at the time. 

I think the 1970 when new used Typle F,,,, and that in the early 80's they switched to another type.

My 73 has a C6 tranny and 429 motor from a 1970 Torino in it,,, I have the tranny pan off to replace the shift lever seals and have also drained the torque converter.  

The tranny was rebuilt in 1987 and has about 20,000 miles on it since. Never a moments trouble except for a leaky pan and now the shift lever seal,, have a new pan and better pan gasket, and seals but am unsure of what fluid to use.  There was no residue of any kind in the pan when I pulled it.

I have no details on the rebuild or on the fluid that was used at the time. 

I think the 1970 when new used Typle F,,,, and that in the early 80's they switched to another type.
I would stay with the Type F.

Cheers Frank

Motorcraft still make type F. NPD sells it or you can order it from a dealer.

Motorcraft® Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Power Steering Fluid

Usage

High-static friction fluid developed for Ford automatic transmissions manufactured during the 1970s and earlier

Special frictional properties help ensure proper shifting in Ford transmissions that require a fluid meeting ESW-M2C33-F

Also recommended for power steering systems in a wide variety of 1995 or older model-year Ford vehicles requiring Type F fluid

Not for use in newer transmissions requiring MERCON® LV, MERCON® V or MERCON® SP

Features

Dual-use fluid for older Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles

Resists foaming and helps protect against rust, corrosion, wear and deposits

Low viscosity also makes it suitable as a hydrostatic drive fluid for many farm implements and certain industrial equipment applications

Recommended by Ford Motor Company

Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles

Back