Tremec TKO 600

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
I am thinking of several alternatives to redo my drive line and to reduce the revs on the highway.

One would be  to change the Toploader 4 to  a Tremec TKO 600.

Has anybody experience of this swap ?

I have heard that the top of the  TKO 600  - as it is square - without rounded  edges needs transmission tunnel modification...

Is it so ?

In case yes - has anybody a photo how it looks after the  metal work is done and before putting the carpet on and also after the carpet is on.

My worry is that the interior would not be the same = original looking anymore.

An alternative  for the TKO 600 would be  Gear Vendors "overdrive unit" - Would that be any easier  and in this latter case I have understood there will be some extra electric cables etc to be  installed...

Anybody having experience on this ?

I have done this very swap and I did not have to cut or modify on the car itself. The only thing I did was attach the shifter handle to the opposite side of where it usually mounts. I got my conversion kit from Modern Driveline with the help of Bruce, I believe he is the owner. I don't know if another companies conversion kit would give you the same results. It was a great conversion though. It makes the car much more drivable and allows you to cruise comfortably.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help.

Forgot one thing. Modern Driveline now offers low profile TKO 600's that don't require cutting of the tunnels in any gen 1 Mustang. I highly recommend this model. I would've bought this one but of course they didn't offer it until a few months after I bought mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done this very swap and I did not have to cut or modify on the car itself. The only thing I did was attach the shifter handle to the opposite side of where it usually mounts. I got my conversion kit from Modern Driveline with the help of Bruce, I believe he is the owner. I don't know if another companies conversion kit would give you the same results. It was a great conversion though. It makes the car much more drivable and allows you to cruise comfortably.

Forgot one thing. Modern Driveline now offers low profile TKO 600's that don't require cutting of the tunnels in any gen 1 Mustang. I highly recommend this model. I would've bought this one but of course they didn't offer it until a few months after I bought mine.
I am in the process of installing a TKO600. I have a quote from MD so I hope I dont need to many mods.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On mine there were no modifications to the car. After talking with Bruce, I ordered the adapter plate for the top loader bellhousing, transmission, cross member and spacer, shifter handle, back up switch and fluid. I used the original z bar with clutch rod and push rod that use rod ends I made and I have no play in my clutch pedal. I also didn't have fitment issues of the clutch cable conversion with the headers and I don't have the headache of trying to make the hydraulic clutch modifications.

On mine there were no modifications to the car. After talking with Bruce, I ordered the adapter plate for the top loader bellhousing, transmission, cross member and spacer, shifter handle, back up switch and fluid. I used the original z bar with clutch rod and push rod that use rod ends I made and I have no play in my clutch pedal. I also didn't have fitment issues of the clutch cable conversion with the headers and I don't have the headache of trying to make the hydraulic clutch modifications.
Nice to know. Which headers do you have?

I have done this very swap and I did not have to cut or modify on the car itself.  The only thing I did was attach the shifter handle to the opposite side of where it usually mounts.  I got my conversion kit from Modern Driveline with the help of Bruce, I believe he is the owner.  I don't know if another companies conversion kit would give you the same results.  It was  a great conversion though.  It makes the car much more drivable and allows you to cruise comfortably.

Forgot one thing.  Modern Driveline now offers low profile TKO 600's that don't require cutting of the tunnels in any gen 1 Mustang.  I highly recommend this model.  I would've bought this one but of course they didn't offer it until a few months after I bought mine.
I am in the process of installing a TKO600. I have a quote from MD so I hope I dont need to many mods.

Hi,

sounds good !

Does this  low profile TKO 600 have  a  special code or name - is the price the same a s  std TKO 600 ?

I haven't checked on the price or part number for the low profile trans but it is an option that gives a little more clearance. For me there was no point in asking because I already had mine installed and couldn't exchange it. My regular tko600 worked out great though. I'm using it with Patriot ceramic coated headers and mechanical clutch linkage.

Hi Otto,

I am still in the process of considering the swap....

Do you have the code / type number of your TKO 600 ?

Any photos to show off the installation ? How much clearance didi you get between the tranny and the tunnel ?

We had last week a chance to try a TKO 3550 ( 600 ?) in place of the Toploaders and it looked to tight from the top and my friend with a 71 Mach 1 did do tunnel work with his TKO 600, so I wonder where these difference come from. ?

Otto hasn't been on the forum for over a year (by clicking on his name you can bring up some information), so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply.

You might search his threads and posts to see if he provided any details.

Hi Otto,

I am still in the process of considering the swap....

Do you have the code / type number of your TKO 600 ?

Any photos to show off the installation ? How much clearance didi you get between the tranny and the tunnel ?

We had last week a chance to try a TKO 3550 ( 600 ?) in place of the Toploaders and it looked to tight from the top and my friend with a 71 Mach 1 did do tunnel work with his TKO 600, so I wonder where these difference come from. ?
I am using a standard TKO600 (not the low profile). It goes very tight under the tunnel. You basically control how tight or the gap by installing spacers or shims between the transmission and crossmember. My guess is that the gap i have is under and inch. This meant that the drive angle was increased. Thus, i angled the rear axle up with shims as well. I think i used a 2 degree shim to match the angle of the engine/transmission. Some people preferred to modify the tunnel to allow the transmission to sit higher and keep the same drivetrain angle. I chose to not modify my tunnel and live with a slightly steeper angle. So far no issues after 2 years. No vibrations up to 100+mph.

I modified my tunnel supports to maintain the 2* block angle.

Picture of what I read to do...

Picture of mine after we did it in 2015...supports were sealed where they were opened up.

Other literature to help you to get a grasp...

American Powertrain...

Modern Driveline...

572 HP, 599 FT LBS of torque @ 4100 rpms. 4 years, 6-7,000 miles of spirited driving and I have no issues.

Back