Ignition switch pulled out with key

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
When I pulled out my key the whole ignition switch came out along with several small parts, I have no clue where they go but they appear to be part of the ignition switch.

Do I need to just get another ignition switch (which also mean rekeying the doors)?  Any suggestions welcome.

A locksmith can probably put it back together. If you do get a new one a locksmith can change the tumblers to get back to the same as door. If not you can cut the ignition on one side of the key and the door locks on the other side so you only have one key. Only one side of the key does anything so you can actually have two different cars on one Ford key.

i recently had this too, without the misc. parts falling out. I did get a whole new switch. It's less than $15. If you go that route, you'll need to pull the steering wheel off.

You can get a steering wheel puller from Auto Zone on a free loan. It's suggested loosening the main bolt, but not removing it all the way, in case your steering wheel really pops off!

I had to play with my new switch for a while to get it to stay in, but eventually it did.

Thanks guys, I did order a new switch for $15.00, I don't have a tilt column so it sounds like I'll need to pull the steering wheel, hope the part comes with instructions (LOL)

I'm planning on just using the old key for the doors, to much of a pain to try and change to rekey them, I did that several years ago and it was a pain.

A good key shop can disassemble the new ignition switch assembly and pin it to your existing key. It's done all the time and is similar to changing door locks.

Back