Got my new 275 gallon Molasses tank yesterday

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I had been looking for one of the big bulk chemical containers to put molasses in so I can do larger parts, fenders, doors, hoods etc.. These were on craigslist about 50 miles from me. He was asking $60.00 each but gave me a deal for two for $50.00 each. 275 gallons.

Now I am going to see if there is a feed store near that sells the molasses in bulk. If not I can get 5 gallon containers for about $18.00 each and mix 9 parts water so I will need 25 gallons or 5 containers to make 250 gallons of solution.

The great thing with the molasses is it is not dangerous and so cheap. It does not remove the paint unless there is rust under it and will not take the sealer off the seams like a conventional strip tank does. When I do a hood I intend to clean it heat it to dry and pour POR 15 inside and rotate to get into the cracks and seams. Then use some the spray rust prevent like Ziebart sprayed inside the double layers between inner and outer panels to stop any rust again.

The molasses will clean an engine block up like new just won't take the oil or grease off. It will take all the rust out of the water jacket. Will take probably 3 weeks for an engine but no labor and little expense.

Now to look out for a swimming pool so I can do the whole car, lol.

My old 50 gallon trash can will be the trash can again. 

Will need to cut the top out to get the big parts in but will wait to see if I can take to get molasses just pumped into it first.

00c0c_81nVtyy9xNE_1200x900.jpg

POR 15 ticks o rust. If you remove the rust it does not stick . I would use epoxy primer

You know plastic tubs won't work if you're planning on making some moonshine...

We are covered up with breweries, stills and wineries here. It must be in our blood, lol. Google Asheville and Hendersonville, NC. there are hundreds, lol. It is taught at the local Technical Colleges.

I could use the tanks for the mash fermentation though, lol. The cows can't possible eat all the corn we grow in the U.S.. I guess you would make rum from molasses like sugar cane.

Latest posts

Back