Exhaust Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I am restoring my 73 'Tang to basically original.  I ordered the "Y" exhaust pipe form hell in April and got it in yesterday.

Would it be a good idea to paint the pipe with VHT ceramic?  

I would probably look better, but I am sure the original was unpainted.

TNX  Roy

The original was not painted. You could have it ceramic coated to prevent corrosion so quick it will look close to original color.
I ordered the "Y" pipe in April and it just now arrived.  I think it is cursed.

I painted to Exhause Manifold with VHT.  So I am considering the same with the pipes.  if not it will rust as soon as I take it out of the garage.

Tnx

I am still debating if I should paint the exhaust pipes. It would not be factory original but it may help with corrosion. Also If I prime and paint in black colour it may be better looking.

Just a thought, I've used the Ace Hardware "aluminum" XO Rust paint in the past on a couple vehicle exhaust systems. These were daily driver type cars at the time and it held up extremely well here in the Northeast. For $10, it's hard to beat. Some higher dollar options would be the various exhaust paints as mentioned, which are designed for higher heat, or the mega buck ceramic coating option.

Just a thought, I've used the Ace Hardware "aluminum" XO Rust paint in the past on a couple vehicle exhaust systems. These were daily driver type cars at the time and it held up extremely well here in the Northeast. For $10, it's hard to beat. Some higher dollar options would be the various exhaust paints as mentioned, which are designed for higher heat, or the mega buck ceramic coating option.
Ok, That sounds like a viable option.

I am concerned what  colour to paint it.  The engine compartment is black, the exhaust manifold is painted grey and the Engine blue.  

And I still need a RH exhaust manifold.

TNX

Roy

Stock systems were bare, I believe they had some sort of galvanizing to them. The aluminum paint, or any "silver" exhaust coating would be fine if you're not looking at a thoroughbred class car.

Back