Drive line angles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
finally measured  some angles from the drive line.

I removed the drive shaft from the rear:

- pinion yoke  1.6 degr positive

- transmission tail end  1.8 positive

-crankshaft  end at the front of the engine  1.6 positive

There may be some  accuracy issues but  in general  I think  this gives an overall view to the situation

I have learned that  the angles should be  slightly negative rather than positive...

I think that I will put  2 degr  wedges on the leaf springs to get  a bit  nose down  pinion.

What do you say ?

Can you make a little drawing?

Saying that an angle is positive or negative requires some sort of reference. It might be better to describe if the flange /shaft is pointing down towards the ground or up at the sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I mean upwards when saying "positive" - sorry for the inaccuracy !

This may help. http://www.quickperformance.com/Pinion-Angle-Measurement_ep_45.html

The transmission angle should be downward (negative). The pinion angle should be upward (positive). The two numbers should be 1 degree, numerically, of each other. Think of them as canceling out to make 0. You also want the two numbers to be less than 5. I have found the best place to take the transmission drive angle is at the rear of the transmission housing, next to the seal.. For the pinion angle, get a machined surface horizontal, then take your measurement on top or bottom, making sure you are using the machined surface. If the transmission is off, you use a spacer to achieve the desired angle. If the pinion is off, you use a pinion angle shim (metal wedge) to set it. Pinion angle shims can be ordered in degrees. I hope this makes sense and it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back