Looking For Australian Owners

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 - matching numbers, 25,000 miles Eleanor look-a-like
[url=https://ibb.co/mvrntk][img]https://preview.ibb.co/bG8YYk/1_lr.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/dwgntk][img]https://preview.ibb.co/fEZ7tk/2.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://imgbb.com/]picture hosting websites free[/url]
As a new owner and from having a phone chat to one of the other Aussie forum members (shout out to Austin Vert / Greg) it appears that there is no thread just for Aussies.  

We have some unique challenges e.g. managing freight costs/tax with importing parts and discussing the various suppliers of parts here in Oz. 

So, if you're an Aussie - make yourself known here!

Hi George,

OK - I'll start the show by putting my name forward to you.

I know we have several Aussie and New Zealand Forum members on board with the Forum, and i would encourage you guys to put your names down here as well if you could.

Many thanks,

Greg. :)

As a new owner and from having a phone chat to one of the other Aussie forum members (shout out to Austin Vert / Greg) it appears that there is no thread just for Aussies.  

We have some unique challenges e.g. managing freight costs/tax with importing parts and discussing the various suppliers of parts here in Oz. 

#sydneydrumdr here with my 71 Fastback. Located in the Hawkesbury area near Sydney. My car is in re-assembly stage after a complete colour change and mechanical overhaul. 351C C6 Auto Cheers,

Dave.
3552643b44626e43088d5f7003595e35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thinking about it, can we all add in which city we're in. Greg & I are in Brisbane.

#sydneydrumdr here with my 71 Fastback. Located in the Hawkesbury area near Sydney. My car is in re-assembly stage after a complete colour change and mechanical overhaul. 351C C6 Auto

Cheers,

Dave.
Wow, Dave. That looks awesome.  :coolphotos:

Love the white on blue. What did you do in the engine bay - factory black or colour matched?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty happy with the paint. Blue body colour in the engine bay too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thought I should chime in being a dinky di Aussie from Australind Western Australia.

I can certainly understand the issues we face especially as you mention George freight charges and dealing with local suppliers.

Being on a budget and many years in auto parts I will always search for a better deal but being on the west coast on the back of a mining boom I rarely deal with local suppliers as they tend to pull your pants down on prices claiming high shipping costs which is only partly true as I can buy the same parts direct from the east coast or USA via air freight and still get a better deal.

As an example I was looking for a cowl panel and the local supplier said he could get one from the USA via sea freight 2-3 months for about $1650 but I wanted it quicker so i looked online and ended up getting it from CJPony for $1450 and had it in 10 days.

If I lived in the US I would deal with people like Don@OMS but unfortunately for us Aussies it's not the price of the part so much as the freight cost which kills the deal.

Anyway I hope more Aussies chime in with their experiences

Oh and another thing Dave mentioned blue in the engine bay (pics please), maybe an aussie thing to have color in the engine bay? Possibly as our local Falcons had color from the factory. Can understand people wanting originality but I prefer color.

Cheers Mick

Thought I should chime in being a dinky di Aussie from Australind Western Australia.

I can certainly understand the issues we face especially as you mention George freight charges and dealing with local suppliers.

Being on a budget and many years in auto parts I will always search for a better deal but being on the west coast on the back of a mining boom I rarely deal with local suppliers as they tend to pull your pants down on prices claiming high shipping costs which is only partly true as I can buy the same parts direct from the east coast or USA via air freight and still get a better deal.

As an example I was looking for a cowl panel and the local supplier said he could get one from the USA via sea freight 2-3 months for about $1650 but I wanted it quicker so i looked online and ended up getting it from CJPony for $1450 and had it in 10 days.

If I lived in the US I would deal with people like Don@OMS but unfortunately for us Aussies it's not the price of the part so much as the freight cost which kills the deal.

Anyway I hope more Aussies chime in with their experiences

Oh and another thing Dave mentioned blue in the engine bay (pics please), maybe an aussie thing to have color in the engine bay? Possibly as our local Falcons had color from the factory. Can understand people wanting originality but I prefer color.

Cheers Mick
Great to have you and your insights on board Mick! ::thumb::

Yeah. My take on it is that you restore to original and don't change a thing and go for Concourse points, or, at the other end you mod your head off and rod the car, or, as I'm doing, you keep it original and just change the colour and update it (for safety - e.g. all round disks). With a colour change not only does a matching engine bay show you've done the full job, it just looks way cool!

G'day from Brett in Bendigo, VIC.

Here's my ride, buried under all the yellow is a 1972 Sprint. All the non-factory mods on the car were done by it's previous US owner - normally I'm a stickler for originality but when I saw this little yellow beastie for the first time with it's c-stipe and non-factory scoop and spoiler it reminded me of the hot wheels cars I used to play with as a kid so I just had to buy it.

The things I like best about these fastbacks are the 40 foot long bonnet, hidden windshield wipers and the ludicrous angle of the backlight plus the lowness of the roofline.

lBHlAA9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, great to see the Aussies on the forum.

I’m originally from Sydney have been in the USA for about 15 years on and off (Mum and Dad still live in the Hunter). Would love to move home just need to get the wife and kids on board.

I was interested how many of you have done the right hand drive switch?

Some day I hope to send mine to Aus with me.

6af41bdcce29716ef4d6cccd8359f0aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately i bought mine with the RHD conversion process 3/4 of the way done if that and not a very good job to boot.

Still trying to sort out some of it and bloody frustrating when very little info out there on these regarding this

Thought I was on top of it last week then had to remove the falcon booster to grind the push rod down to accommodate the mustang brake light switch

Re bled the brakes but can't get a good pedal and the lengthened falcon pedal now hits the floor when bleeding, damn it!

i recessed the floor pan to suit the shorter pedal so now i will have to recess the floor below it. Back to the drawing board again!

Would have been a more difficult process the return it to LHD so will just persist with it

G'day from Brett in Bendigo, VIC.

Here's my ride, buried under all the yellow is a 1972 Sprint. All the non-factory mods on the car were done by it's previous US owner - normally I'm a stickler for originality but when I saw this little yellow beastie for the first time with it's c-stipe and non-factory scoop and spoiler it reminded me of the hot wheels cars I used to play with as a kid so I just had to buy it.

The things I like best about these fastbacks are the 40 foot long bonnet, hidden windshield wipers and the ludicrous angle of the backlight plus the lowness of the roofline.
Hey Brett, great to get you on board! And now I know (quick Google) about the Sprint series! Your car makes yellow cool  :cool: BTW I think if you measure our bonnets they're 40.2763 feet long to be precise!

Hey guys, great to see the Aussies on the forum.

I’m originally from Sydney have been in the USA for about 15 years on and off (Mum and Dad still live in the Hunter). Would love to move home just need to get the wife and kids on board.

I was interested how many of you have done the right hand drive switch?

Some day I hope to send mine to Aus with me.
Hi Chopper, my car was converted to right hook as a new import to Oz back in '74, one owner before me. So I'm not much use on the process. The problem you have is doing it now would devalue the car by limiting the resale market to Oz. Looks like a sweet, straight ride! Has it been restored or just well maintained?

I live in Sydney but I am American. Been here 11 years and not planning on ever leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks immaculate gp! Nice wheels!

Very clean looking vert GP and like the Falcon coupe is it a GT?

Just a note for aussies/kiwis buying parts, some sellers on ebay (US & Oz) are linked in with their global shipping program

I just ordered carpet and a rear bumper which would have normally cost me well over $300 US for shipping but this way it was about $110 US

I ordered from Maryland Mustang eBay store as they seem to be the only one on board with this program for now, hopefully others follow

Not sure where all the other aussies on this forum are? Maybe the football finals keeping them busy?

Mick

Back