Dash lights voltage regulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I am changing a few LED bulbs and want to replace the voltage regulator. Where is it located? I don't want to disconnect the speedometer cable if I don't have to. NPD sell 2 of them is there any difference other than the price?

John J

I am changing a few LED bulbs and want to replace the voltage regulator. Where is it located? I don't want to disconnect the speedometer cable if I don't have to. NPD sell 2 of them is there any difference other than the price?

John J
You will have to pull the instrument cluster out to replace it which means the speedo cable must come off. It plugs into the back of the circuit board.

The two that NPD sell are an import and a US made. Both are improvements over the OEM unit and the less expensive one should work just fine.

I would go with an electronic version. If I only could remember where I bought mine, LOL. You'll have to undo the speedo cable and plug to get to it. If you want, I have a used Instrument Voltage Regulator that you can have for free. Just PM me with your address and it's yours.

Ummmm....the dash lamps don't run off of the voltage regulator on the back of the dash cluster; that regulates the voltage to the gauges. The dash lamps get their power from the headlight switch via the fuse box.

Back