Lower Trunk Corner Rebuild Dynacorn

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1

Hi,

I am trying to rebuild the ass end of a 72.  I bought this trunk corner Dynacorn to see what the fit will look like before buying everything else.  If someone installed one I need some advice or look at the pic and enlighten me.  Why does the backside of the piece stick out beyond the tail light area?  I laid it in and took this pic.  I'm confused why the piece doesn't have a 90 degree piece above that tucks under the quarter panel.  Why is that piece that goes vertical cut on an angle and why does the piece stick out?  It said for both convertible and coups.  I can cut the piece where it goes vertical since metal is good in this area on driver side but need a whole vertical section on the passenger side.  I guess I will have to customize it on the passenger side to include the whole vertical piece of metal.  I'm confused a lot when I buy after market parts.  Also if you look at the top edge where the weatherstripping goes there is a 1" notch in that area of the new piece.  Is it designed to lay under the original piece?  I was thinking of just butt welding it in but saw that issue so its there for a reason (maybe..lol!)

The Dynacorn trunk corners are being made are for the coupe / convertible

They did not make the fastback version yet

I would at least 1/2" of that vertical side. If you cut off the vertical side, the corner splice joint will require a lot of work to get it right. Other than that, you use only the sections of the patch that you require to fix yours. Usually the minimum cutting out is best, but I usually pick my cut area that will be the easiest to hide or blend, the weld and then make my cuts there..

The Dynacorn trunk corners are being made are for the coupe / convertible

They did not make the fastback version yet
That makes sense.  Is the shape the same whereas I can use the sweep section?

Thanks

I would at least 1/2" of that vertical side. If you cut off the vertical side, the corner splice joint will require a lot of work to get it right. Other than that, you use only the sections of the patch that you require to fix yours. Usually the minimum cutting out is best, but I usually pick my cut area that will be the easiest to hide or blend,  the weld and then make my cuts there..
I think that's what I am going to try.  Those two corners are shot so I need to try it.  Hopefully they sweep in correctly because once I cut the old ones out there's no going back.  I think it would be smart to get the tail piece first and make sure they work.  I'm always tentative about this kind of work.  50% talent 50% bravery. Thanks for the response.

Use to work in Suffolk and stayed in Chesapeake.  Occasionally I would  drive up to Yorktown and Williamsburg to hang out after work.  Great area.  Love all the history.

Back