1971 Mustang Mach 1 engine compartment color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endroman

Reaction score
I am going to be soon painting the engine compartment of my 1971 Mustang Mach 1. I am wanting to make sure I paint it the correct color of black. I am finding semi gloss black is this correct? And if so do you have the paint code for this? Also is engine compartment color same as lower bumpers and cowls? Firewall? Chassis? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The engine compartment is black. Just black.

The last car I did, I used acrylic enamel with a catalyst and flattening agent mixed to the "eggshell" recipe. Came out fine but took a while to get really hard. Next car I'll use a single stage urethane.

If you are using rattle cans for the engine compartment, then Krylon Satin black works great, It's also used on a lot of brackets and pulleys, etc.

As far as the rest of the car, you could use the same mix for the under carriage and all the way back to the trunk. I can't speak as to what the correct mix is for the exterior black. The 429 Megasite has a tried and tested base/clear mix for the low gloss black, but the site appears to be down at the moment.

I got great results with some Rust Bullet Black Shell.  It's a urethane primer that can go over painted or unpainted surfaces, and will be resistance to liquids and chemicals.  I brushed mine on with sponge brushes, but if you were to spray it on it would look even nicer.

https://www.rustbullet.com/products/topcoats/blackshell.html

SEM 2k hot rod black hr 1010 is really good stuff. it works best with sealer under it. qt. and 1/2 kit is around 100.00. if you want high quality aresol products. look at spray max,they have a nice selection of 1k and 2k primers, paints and clears

Anyone ever had any luck with any of the brush on products? I'm in SD and have limited nice days left to paint outside and don't have proper ventilation inside. I've read couple post about using brake caliper brush on paint and won't see brush marks.

I do not know how Original you are wanting to go but most cars I see are done different than the factory did. If you look in the Ford Facts book you will see the car got two coats of primer and I think three coats of color. After the color was on Ford sprayed the black on upper dash, cowl, inside the engine compartment and radiator support. They did no black the outside of the inner fenders they had some amount of over spray from the color on them.

As someone stated in this post the paint they used on the engine compartment looks like the Eggshell texture and is not shiny at all but not a total flat black. I do not have a code I can give you for paint. Here are some pictures that you can see where they sprayed on my 73 vert. That is factory paint not a repainted car. I took fenders and everything off detailing the car. The seam sealer around the front had cracked and was peeling so I peeled the loose off and put POR on the bare metal and seam sealer and sprayed a little under coating on. This is a driver and you cannot see the repairs with the splash guards in place either. Notice there is no paint on any of the bolt heads or suspension parts as they were installed after the paint was done, color and black.

I had removed the outer shock tower reinforcement to clean and they were painted SLOP gray like some of the grill brackets and the shock tower braces.

The guy that sprayed the passenger side really laid the color to the outside of the inner fenders and just overs pray on the drivers side. Every car will have differences for sure.

Anyone ever had any luck with any of the brush on products? I'm in SD and have limited nice days left to paint outside and don't have proper ventilation inside. I've read couple post about using brake caliper brush on paint and won't see brush marks.

Never had much luck with brush on paints. I used POR-15 on the floors and cowl area of my '71, but you can still see brush marks.

I am an engine builder for a living. I'd say 50% are restorations. The black engine paint that is correct for any Ford engine that gets black ( 427s, Hi-Po 289s ) , is Dupli-Color DE 1635 Ford Semi-Gloss Black. Not only is this the color for the black engines, but I've found it has just the right gloss for all the brackets, harmonic ballancers, etc, and although I haven't used it to paint an engine compartment ( yet ) , I'm pretty sure if you try it , you'll find it has the perfect sheen, like factory powdercoat. Once you discover this paint, you'll be hooked as well.

Back