73 Q-code, long term

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ygolohcysp

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Q-code
Minimal progress on restoration
Hello,

I posted a month or two ago in the introductions forum about finally getting started, again, on my old Mach 1.  I was asked for pictures, and of course I've been slow to get anything done.  Always seems that life somehow gets in the way.  I have too many hobbies I think.  I've recently decided to try to get some extra side work doing machining in my garage to buy a new TIG welder.

Anyway, the biggest point of contention for me in starting in on this old Mach 1 was the shock towers, knowing I couldn't just get replacement panels.  So, I have carefully removed the bracket that's inside the shock tower reinforcing it, and then managed to remove the bad portion of the shock tower.  This is the lower driver's side.  I made a leather sand bag out of an old welding apron, bought the highest quality nylon tear drop hammer from harbor freight, and have gotten started trying my hand at panel beating with some 14 gauge sheet metal.

I'm beginning to think I may need to build an english wheel though.

I appreciate the responses. I can't really justify to myself spending $700 per side. I also realize I'm taking the cheap but hard way out here. As much as I can't wait to have this part done so I can start making fast progress in putting in the stamped sheet metal pieces I have, I'm seeing this as a challenge. To see if I can do it. To that end, I visited a metal salvage yard today. I picked up some steel tubing, about 1.5" x 3.5" with almost 1/4" wall thickness. Got some 3.5" round stock for making some anvils. Some 1/4" flat bar stock for adding gussets to the frame work. I also got about 14" piece of 1" threaded rod with acme threads and a giant nut for it. In other words, except for some miscellaneous hardware like bolts for the anvils and needing to make a wheel for the adjustment mechanism, I have enough material to build an english wheel. It cost me $50 for the steel. I even got a piece of 3/4" x 4" flat bar stock just because. I'll need to use a piece to make a ball turner for the lathe to get the crown profile on the wheels/anvils, but I've needed to make one anyway.

I appreciate the responses.  I can't really justify to myself spending $700 per side.  I also realize I'm taking the cheap but hard way out here.  As much as I can't wait to have this part done so I can start making fast progress in putting in the stamped sheet metal pieces I have, I'm seeing this as a challenge.  To see if I can do it.  To that end, I visited a metal salvage yard today.  I picked up some steel tubing, about 1.5" x 3.5" with almost 1/4" wall thickness.  Got some 3.5" round stock for making some anvils.  Some 1/4" flat bar stock for adding gussets to the frame work.  I also got about 14" piece of 1" threaded rod with acme threads and a giant nut for it.  In other words, except for some miscellaneous hardware like bolts for the anvils and needing to make a wheel for the adjustment mechanism, I have enough material to build an english wheel.  It cost me $50 for the steel.  I even got a piece of 3/4" x 4" flat bar stock just because.  I'll need to use a piece to make a ball turner for the lathe to get the crown profile on the wheels/anvils, but I've needed to make one anyway.
I will have to go digging in my old tool box. I made a radius turning tool years ago to swing big radius in the lathe. Very simple and you can set very accurate with a height gauge. Use to face zinc die casting nozzles with it. I will get a pic tomorrow.

I've made a little bit of progress, but only minuscule amounts. Work keeps getting in the way. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the radius turning tool if it's not a pain though. As for my patch, I'm actually getting it much smoother as I shape it a bit more. One side of the shock tower is pretty good, the other side needs a little more curve to the shape. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

I'm trying to stay focused, but that's hard when I have too many projects going on. I did a little more hammering tonight, and I'm making some very slow headway. This piece is almost to shape. One more day of hammering and fitting and hammering and fitting, etc. Hopefully one more day anyway.

Looking good and although sometimes progress seems slow don't give up

Too many projects get overwhelming for some and they give up

I'm not one to give up as 3 or 4 owners before me did and will persist

Keep posting and get help from fellow members when you need it as there is a wealth of knowledge on this site

Back