What year is best (It has to be done)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite year?

Votes: 32 60.4%

Votes: 8 15.1%

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
Okay, for a little fun. I know we all love these cars and there isn't THAT much difference between the years... but what's your favorite.. and why??

I picked '73. I like the front bumper and the grill lights. On a convertible I think they look the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said 73 for obvious reasons. But the biggest reason is they seem to be less common and in my mind that is cool because I don't like to follow the masses on what I like. A slightly smaller reason is because it was the original Elanor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I've owned two '73 s I voted for the '71 as the best year because the horsepower of the engines was higher. You had the 429 SCJ and the Boss 351C.

71 hands down. (1) first year (2) 429-CJ-SCJ (3) Boss 351 (4) 351 4V with Ram Air, dropped for 72. That's why the 71 is the best year except for the 72 R code 351 HO. (5) Do you ever see 71-72s looking like 73 Mach 1s NO. But how many times do you see 73s looking like 71s.

'71 and not just because I own one. Bought the car for a set of wheels and then found what I had. Around May 1971 the EPA determined we were having too much fun and began to put the clamps on. Fortunately, my M-code was bucked in March.

mike

71 here although mine is a 72. more power in the 71's and also the year I was born:p but then again they where probably building the 72's in 71 {I was born in november } One reason for me not picking the 73 was the bumpers. I liked the option of having the mach grill or standard grill. I like the standard grill because the pony is huge and more visible.

voted 73....simply cause of the front bumper and stripe combo's...i like the fat side stripe..and the front grill..and all the trim around the lights...the runing lights turned up.......but i do like the 71's motor choices better....but then again...stock horse power doesnt mean as much anymore...they all been rebuilt just about..and with a simple cam change the 4v cleveland in all years will kick arse:)

This is kind of like asking me which of my four kids I like best! It all depends on who's doing what, when!

I too chose the 1971 and not just because I own one but because it was first of that generation and it did have more and better choices in power train so it was the leader of the pack.

I have to say 71 , because of the last hp engines.

73 is my choice, not just because i own one, there isn,t many around especially true mach 1,s, and more importantly like the great Hal Haliki said in the original Gone In Sixty Seconds...."she,s the last of the mustangs" :)

I have to agree with the 71 guys... It is the first year of the body shape, it implied for me, the biggest change in shape but also in structure of the shell, it was the intent to go into a new decade with something fresh and new so, from the concept, i have to choose 71 too...

I own a 72 and that´s great and I do too love the 73 (never seen one in person though) but just like if you ask why the 64 1/2 is more "wanted" or valued than 65 and 66?... if just because it was the jump down the cliff and see what happens... The following years was more "safe" choices...

I currently own a 72 but, I've owned 2 71s. I have to vote for 71 for the reasons others have stated.

Chuck

I voted 71. Even though the 72's had the Q code CJ's and the R code HO's, I always felt them to be the weaker little bothers to the big 71 muscle. I always blamed the mandated lower compression ratios (changed pistons and combustion chamber design).

Ray

I voted 71 although 72 would be just as possible. But in 72 they dropped a few interesting performance goodies, so it has to be 71.

I don't really like the 73s that much as I think that their grille and bumper makes them nose heavy in terms of looks.

Another thing that I like better with the 71-72 is that the grille is sitting further back in the front, making them look more aggressive.

But that's just my two cent's worth of personal taste.

To all you 73 guys, I gotta say that you still have one of the coolest Stangs ever made, just ignore my comment! ;)

It is like was said,which kid do you like best? You can't decide because they all have their plus's(?) Any way I love the 73's because I feel like they were the most refined of the three years. My favorite look would be the 71-72s with the chrome front bumpers in the sports roof / coupe. My favorite convertable would have to be the 73's! Performance and value wise would have to be the 71 429's,Boss 351 cars and the 72 R codes.I might even have to throw the 150 or so 71 "Q" codes for rarity.

You guys know I will have to vote for the 73s!

As always,this is just my .02 and we know how that rates!

Back