What color are firewall and fender apron bolts supposed to be?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sciabola13

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
e7a5ff82de544bd6b94206b30ff3b52e.jpg

What color/finish are these bolts in the apron near battery and solenoid supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e7a5ff82de544bd6b94206b30ff3b52e.jpg

What color/finish are these bolts in the apron near battery and solenoid supposed to be?

‘71 Mach H code...

Ford used a mixture of finished for fasteners all over the car. Some like the fender and grill bolts was Zinc plated with yellow dichromate (Gold Color). Others were Zinc with Clear Chromate (Silver Color) , some are Black Zinc (Flat Black Color)and some are just Phosphate or Parkerized coating Flat Black or Gray). I do not have a good picture this car is an original 12,000 mile 73 Mach 1 the bolts have discolored so you can't see good.

If you take the bolts out and look at the back side you can usually see some of the coating left to determine which one. You can get them re plated if you have a plating shop near you that will work with you on such a small order.

If you buy the AMK bolt kits some of them do not match the old ones as far as makers marks and finish.

Didn't really answer your question but you have to look close at the bolts and determine coating. You can clean grease and sealer off the old ones. De rust them with molasses and then get plated again and they look like new.

Most of the bolts around the fender apron and firewall were yellow cadmium. The horn bolts were silver cadmium, as was the hood latch striker bolts on the hood. If you want a high concourse restoration then have the original bolts if you have them replated, otherwise the AMK kit is a bit pricey but good enough. I have heard of other folks using cheaper alternatives to AMK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! This car is not a concours restoration, she is going to me a mostly original restomod with a few safety and convenience feature upgrades. I am trying to keep stuff close to original, and would prefer to not coat every fastener in black if I can help it. :)

Thanks for the info!  This car is not a concours restoration, she is going to me a mostly original restomod with a few safety and convenience feature upgrades.  I am trying to keep stuff close to original, and would prefer to not coat every fastener in black if I can help it.  :)
About the only fasteners that actually got paint was the one on the Buck tag and the ones holding the filler panel on behind the 73 rear bumper and the rear apron under the bumper and of course the door hinges and trunk bolts.. Everything up front was painted and then bolted on the car. The grill bolts had not paint and were the yellow.

Thanks!  I have been meaning to ask said:
Ford used a mixture of finished for fasteners all over the car. Some like the fender and grill bolts was Zinc plated with yellow dichromate  (Gold Color). Others were Zinc with Clear Chromate (Silver Color) , some are Black Zinc (Flat Black Color)and some are just Phosphate or Parkerized coating Flat Black or Gray). I do not have a good picture this car is an original 12,000 mile 73 Mach 1 the bolts have discolored so you can't see good.

If you take the bolts out and look at the back side you can usually see some of the coating left to determine which one. You can get them re plated if you have a plating shop near you that will work with you on such a small order.

If you buy the AMK bolt kits some of them do not match the old ones as far as makers marks and finish.

Didn't really answer your question but you have to look close at the bolts and determine coating. You can clean grease and sealer off the old ones. De rust them with molasses and then get plated again and they look like new.

I believe all 73 car came with the fresh air ducts. The ducts were not used on 71 cars and I am not sure about 72 cars but I don't think so.

Yes the bellows hose does go to the radiator support to get cool air and was another of the changes for 1973. Difficult to find good hose also so if you see one in great shape you can sell here I am sure. Has a snap clamp on the end that goes to the plastic part and the other end is stapled to the snorkel.

I just finished filling up my de rust tank with 200 gallons of solution so I can clean rusty parts all winter.

sciabola13, the hose and duct you see on David's car was on all 73's and on 72's that were equipped with  the NOX emissions option.(More commonly known as California Emissions) These were not on the 71's.  Big brother was coming! This was one component of many that was part of the early Emissions control systems that were going to get more complicated as our Government was busy protecting us from ourselves! Hard plastic parts can be difficult to find in good condition as many were trashed over the years and others deteriorated. Replacement flex hoses are discontinued from Ford but can be found aftermarket.

If it's any help, here's what I did on my 71. Got all my fasteners from NPD and are definitely not concours, but then, no-one knows other than the "judges". It looks the part and it wins trophy's!

If it's any help, here's what I did on my 71. Got all my fasteners from NPD and are definitely not concours, but then, no-one knows other than the "judges". It looks the part and it wins trophy's!

Looks fantastic btw!

Did you get the master body bolt kit?

If I remember, I just got what I needed in packs. I used the old original bolts as samples, most of which I still have, to match up as close as possible. I'm not sure that NPD has a good master kit for the 71-73's.

BTW, that pic is older, I redid a lot of it last year when I had to redo the engine again. Here is a more recent picture and there may be some differences, like the bolts holding the hood latch are now dichromate not cadmium.

Looks fantastic btw!

Thanks for the compliment. It is much appreciated. I did a post on detailing my engine bay a few months ago if you care to search for it. I have no idea how to find it let alone link it!! (computer dummy at his best here!!)

Looks fantastic btw!

Thanks for the compliment. It is much appreciated. I did a post on detailing my engine bay a few months ago if you care to search for it. I have no idea how to find it let alone link it!! (computer dummy at his best here!!)
Here it is:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-engine-bay-detailing-71-mach-1

::thumb::

Latest posts

Back