Does anyone recognize these rockers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am in the process of disassembling my engine and to my surprise the rockers seem very nice. They are aluminum rollers but I can't tell what brand are they. Does anyone recognize them?

I am wondering,  if they are good ones, if I should keep them once I stroke the engine.

They look Chinese because of no-name and the small bearings. Brand name rockers almost always have a name or a very distinguishing characteristic of some sort. Once you upgrade your engine, you will want ones that use a 7/16" stud anyways.

Well...... :shootself: this proves once again that whoever rebuilt this car and sold it to the previous owner did a crappy job. That reinforces my theory of replacing everything that rotates in this car. I had a glimpse of hope that they may have spent some good money, but the truth is that the shop that did the job just wanted a car that looked nice for a few years.

It goes to show that you can build a car that looks great, but with cheap stuff that will be hard to tell unless you really dig deep into it.

I am not too worried because my plan was to replace all the rotating stuff anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside patriotic prefs, can someone explain me why these robust looking rockers are bad? I mean, what is wrong with these? How do you test/judge them?

Do they have some play on their bearings?

Aside patriotic prefs, can someone explain me why these robust looking rockers are bad? I mean, what is wrong with these? How do you test/judge them?

Do they have some play on their bearings?
No idea, but it is hard to trust a no brand product. It may be a good product, but with no brand, that means that no one dares to stand behind its quality and the consequences. However, we have many times heard of failure of brand name products. In those cases, at least there is history in the internet.

In this case I used this engine for three years, but I never pushed it hard because I didn't know in which condition it was. All I can say is that the valve train was loud, but that could be due to adjustment reasons and not necessarily because of bearing play. I don't know what's normal but you can definitely wiggle these rockers side-to-side a bit. I may know more once I disassemble them and inspect.

I sometimes chuckle when I hear someone say Chinese junk also. First off I am an American and I buy as much American as I can find. I went to China and brought money back to the U.S.A. I did not leave it there shopping at Wal Mart. They paid for my garage and several of my cars and paid off my home. Some insight from someone that has lived and worked there. We have another member who I believe lived with his family there for 3 years so if he could he would back up my info but his position will not allow it.

I lived and worked in China for 17 months. I was the engineering manager at a tool & die shop with over 400 employees and over 170 die makers for 13 months. I was able to go into factories and see first hand how they make their "junk". You cannot just go to China and walk into a factory. You have to be invited and if you were you would be amazed. They do everything with as much machine power as they can. They are short of people so their factories have more modern automation than U.S. companies have. The company I worked for VT Industrial Technology at their division in Wuhu China. Here is link to web site, http://www.vt-ind.com/en/index.aspx

If you look at their history only started in 2008 and they do work for all of the major companies around the world.

One of the owners was previously a metallurgist so he knew who made the best tool steels and only used them. They did not use the cheapest they used the best. Some components like nitrogen cylinders and manifolds usually came from the U.S.A.. The tooling was designed and built using what ever components and materials were specified by the customer. The customer was responsible for supplying the materials to try out the tooling in China so we used same material from the country where parts would be produced.

I helped with the communication and engineering and was involved in all of the design reviews done over the net using computers. Every detail was review with the customers so there were no surprises.

I was there and saw first hand projects for body components for all of the major car companies. One job for Honda went to the press and made the first part to 96% of the part dimensions to print on the first trial. It was 100% to print in a couple more trials. It was the front reinforcement for a sun roof opening so had lots of mating surface and critical points and not a simple washer.

I myself would make checks on their work would tear down a tool that was ready to ship and see if everything was as specified. I was a tool & die maker in past.

Yes they were behind the U.S. in years past in manufacturing but now the U.S. is in the rear. China, South Korea and Taiwan are all in front of U.S. in my opinion. Been there done that not reading an article on the internet to make my observations.

I hear you saying "then why are the repo parts so bad"? If the customer, Dynacorn or anyone would supply CAD data or a print that CAD data could be generated from they would have something to work with. If you know anything about statistics you know that you need quite a few samples to obtain data that shows the true capabilities of a part, at least 30 pieces. When they repo a part the find one or two NOS parts, humm NOS what does that mean. Well it was stamped probably later in life by a sub supplier for service parts and probably not as good as the production parts were. It was shipped to a warehouse then a dealership ordered a part and it was shipped to them. Then it was picked up and rolled around in somebodies garage for the last 34 - 36 years. How twisted and messed up is that NOS part??? Now they get this NOS part or parts in Taiwan or China and what do they do. They laser scan it with the best equipment out there. They turn it into a CAD file and start the tooling design. Unless Dynacorn built some kind of holding fixture, they are stupid if they do not, to put the NOS part in body position before the scan it will be a horrible mess.

As the old saying goes junk in junk out. You give them good info and good specifications and they make fantastic products that can be better than made in the U.S.A. in my opinion.

Nobody here including me can say if those rockers are good or bad without testing side by side with competitors products. I would say that those rockers are much better that the stock Ford solid steel stamped fulcrum rockers. They look beefy but we do not know the alloy of the aluminum, was it cast, was it billet was it billet forged? Lots of unknowns. If you put a bigger bearing in that reduces the cross section of the rocker and might make it flex under high rpm. Lots of unknowns.

If I were going to repo body parts I would find a low mileage original car and I would scan the surfaces of the parts while on the car in body position. After I had the surface I would then start to build the flanges and then holes to complete the part. Working from NOS parts is not a very accurate way to produce a repo for sure.

China or any country can make products just as good and many times better than the U.S. can. We need to get our heads out of the sand and face facts. I do not know of a shop in the U.S.A. that could compete with the shop I worked in quality, price or timing and there are many better than them in China.

This probably ruffles some feathers but it is fact no conjecture or hear say. I lived it worked there and saw it first hand.

I would bring bundles of $10,000 USD in $100 bills in cash when I would return home for visits. The banks in China had the new U.S. $100 bills before my bank in my home town did. When I went in to make a deposit the teller was showing all the other tellers the NEW $100 that they had not seen, lol. China owns the U.S. and we are their slave now. It will take many years to ever go the other way if ever. The work ethics here are way too sloppy and lax. They work hard in China, 12 hours shifts 7 days a week but they do get more holidays off than we do here. BTW they make about 50% of what a tool & die maker in U.S. makes but they get free lodging, three meals a day, transport to and from work. People in engineering that are Chinese get a bonus for jobs going to plan and happy customers. The head die designer that was in his 40's and the best I have ever worked with got over $1,000,000 a year with bonus. He went from a farm boy that had only eaten meat three times in his life. His parents got him to college and he did the rest. He knew all of the CAD packages and was super fast and knew how to design. He had a cot by his desk and would sleep there and work 24 hour days to get jobs out on time. They do have the latest equipment to work with and constantly build and grow never standing still. All the youth in the U.S. have been told to go to college and get a degree but when they get out and go to Pizza Hut to work it serves them well. People just do not want to work here any more. The BMW plant in S.C. is paying bounties for new workers and they cannot get them. People complain about working 8 hours with breaks in their air conditioned factories. We wonder why all the work went to China. I know why.

Don't you wish I could only type with two fingers, lol. Darn gas is expensive.

These look like early Angus Racing rocker arms.  I know Angus was made in the US back in the day, but I'm not sure now.

@david

[ I would say that those rockers are much better that the stock Ford solid steel stamped fulcrum rockers.]

That's is my impression... and if I read @tony-muscle recap, he drove quite a few miles on these

so if they were trash, they would surely display wear & play. On picts they kinda say the contrary.

I understand the caution on not keeping something you do not know. But I'd rather find a way to test them

rather than buy "branded" new ones which is aside being a wallet attack, not a proof they'll do a better job.

Tony, in case you won't use these babies anyway, let me PM you my trash can address ! ;)

I sometimes chuckle when I hear someone say Chinese junk also. First off I am an American and I buy as much American as I can find. I went to China and brought money back to the U.S.A. I did not leave it there shopping at Wal Mart. They paid for my garage and several of my cars and paid off my home. Some insight from someone that has lived and worked there. We have another member who I believe lived with his family there for 3 years so if he could he would back up my info but his position will not allow it.

I lived and worked in China for 17 months. I was the engineering manager at a tool & die shop with over 400 employees and over 170 die makers for 13 months. I was able to go into factories and see first hand how they make their "junk". You cannot just go to China and walk into a factory. You have to be invited and if you were you would be amazed. They do everything with as much machine power as they can. They are short of people so their factories have more modern automation than U.S. companies have. The company I worked for VT Industrial Technology at their division in Wuhu China. Here is link to web site, http://www.vt-ind.com/en/index.aspx

If you look at their history only started in 2008 and they do work for all of the major companies around the world.

One of the owners was previously a metallurgist so he knew who made the best tool steels and only used them. They did not use the cheapest they used the best. Some components like nitrogen cylinders and manifolds usually came from the U.S.A.. The tooling was designed and built using what ever components and materials were specified by the customer. The customer was responsible for supplying the materials to try out the tooling in China so we used same material from the country where parts would be produced.

I helped with the communication and engineering and was involved in all of the design reviews done over the net using computers. Every detail was review with the customers so there were no surprises.

I was there and saw first hand projects for body components for all of the major car companies. One job for Honda went to the press and made the first part to 96% of the part dimensions to print on the first trial. It was 100% to print in a couple more trials. It was the front reinforcement for a sun roof opening so had lots of mating surface and critical points and not a simple washer.

I myself would make checks on their work would tear down a tool that was ready to ship and see if everything was as specified. I was a tool & die maker in past.

Yes they were behind the U.S. in years past in manufacturing but now the U.S. is in the rear. China, South Korea and Taiwan are all in front of U.S. in my opinion. Been there done that not reading an article on the internet to make my observations.

I hear you saying "then why are the repo parts so bad"? If the customer, Dynacorn or anyone would supply CAD data or a print that CAD data could be generated from they would have something to work with. If you know anything about statistics you know that you need quite a few samples to obtain data that shows the true capabilities of a part, at least 30 pieces. When they repo a part the find one or two NOS parts, humm NOS what does that mean. Well it was stamped probably later in life by a sub supplier for service parts and probably not as good as the production parts were. It was shipped to a warehouse then a dealership ordered a part and it was shipped to them. Then it was picked up and rolled around in somebodies garage for the last 34 - 36 years. How twisted and messed up is that NOS part??? Now they get this NOS part or parts in Taiwan or China and what do they do. They laser scan it with the best equipment out there. They turn it into a CAD file and start the tooling design. Unless Dynacorn built some kind of holding fixture, they are stupid if they do not, to put the NOS part in body position before the scan it will be a horrible mess.

As the old saying goes junk in junk out. You give them good info and good specifications and they make fantastic products that can be better than made in the U.S.A. in my opinion.

Nobody here including me can say if those rockers are good or bad without testing side by side with competitors products. I would say that those rockers are much better that the stock Ford solid steel stamped fulcrum rockers. They look beefy but we do not know the alloy of the aluminum, was it cast, was it billet was it billet forged? Lots of unknowns. If you put a bigger bearing in that reduces the cross section of the rocker and might make it flex under high rpm. Lots of unknowns.

If I were going to repo body parts I would find a low mileage original car and I would scan the surfaces of the parts while on the car in body position. After I had the surface I would then start to build the flanges and then holes to complete the part. Working from NOS parts is not a very accurate way to produce a repo for sure.

China or any country can make products just as good and many times better than the U.S. can. We need to get our heads out of the sand and face facts. I do not know of a shop in the U.S.A. that could compete with the shop I worked in quality, price or timing and there are many better than them in China.

This probably ruffles some feathers but it is fact no conjecture or hear say. I lived it worked there and saw it first hand.

I would bring bundles of $10,000 USD in $100 bills in cash when I would return home for visits. The banks in China had the new U.S. $100 bills before my bank in my home town did. When I went in to make a deposit the teller was showing all the other tellers the NEW $100 that they had not seen, lol. China owns the U.S. and we are their slave now. It will take many years to ever go the other way if ever. The work ethics here are way too sloppy and lax. They work hard in China, 12 hours shifts 7 days a week but they do get more holidays off than we do here. BTW they make about 50% of what a tool & die maker in U.S. makes but they get free lodging, three meals a day, transport to and from work. People in engineering that are Chinese get a bonus for jobs going to plan and happy customers. The head die designer that was in his 40's and the best I have ever worked with got over $1,000,000 a year with bonus. He went from a farm boy that had only eaten meat three times in his life. His parents got him to college and he did the rest. He knew all of the CAD packages and was super fast and knew how to design. He had a cot by his desk and would sleep there and work 24 hour days to get jobs out on time. They do have the latest equipment to work with and constantly build and grow never standing still. All the youth in the U.S. have been told to go to college and get a degree but when they get out and go to Pizza Hut to work it serves them well. People just do not want to work here any more. The BMW plant in S.C. is paying bounties for new workers and they cannot get them. People complain about working 8 hours with breaks in their air conditioned factories. We wonder why all the work went to China. I know why.

Don't you wish I could only type with two fingers, lol. Darn gas is expensive.
I agree with what you are saying. I work analyzing a lot of products that fail manufactured in China, and in many occasions it is related to poor specifications from the US customers. Most of what we buy today is made there, any many items are of great quality. The bad quality reputation they have is because when customers don't specify what they want, they will deliver the cheapest they possibly can. So the debate is, if this is an issue of the Chinese manufacturer or a failure of the US customer that wasn't specific in what he wanted.

In any case, related to these rockers, since we don't know who made them , then we have no idea of the specs.

@david

[ I would say that those rockers are much better that the stock Ford solid steel stamped fulcrum rockers.]

That's is my impression... and if I read @tony-muscle recap, he drove quite a few miles on these

so if they were trash, they would surely display wear & play. On picts they kinda say the contrary.

I understand the caution on not keeping something you do not know. But I'd rather find a way to test them

rather than buy "branded" new ones which is aside being a wallet attack, not a proof they'll do a better job.

Tony, in case you won't use these babies anyway, let me PM you my trash can address ! ;)
I am definitely going to sell everything from the engine that I don't reuse. Very likely that I won't use these. Sometime by early-to-mid next year I will start selling all the stuff, including C6 transmission and all its attachment. However, I first want to get all in place and working before I think about selling.

If I had to guess I would still say those are Pro-comp.....or some similar Chinese knock offs. Similar to these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-302-351C-Cleveland-1-73-7-16-Aluminum-Roller-Rocker-Arm-Set-/291905478140?hash=item43f6ec1dfc:g:3FAAAOSwrf1ZZdo9&vxp=mtr

I spent around $13-15,000 on building my 408 stroker. I would definitely NOT put those in my motor. I know there are good products that come from China, but when a product cost 1/4 of what a high quality piece is, I would pass. When I built my first Cleveland I was low on cash and bought a set of the cheap rockers....... they did not last 1,000 miles. In my opinion you get what you pay for. And not knowing where those came from I wouldn't put them in my engine.

The point I am trying to make is that made in U.S.A. nor price reflects the engineering or value in a part. Back before anything was made in China that much in the early 80's I had a set of U.S. made TRW rocker, push rods and lifters that I put in a fresh bored, balanced, new cam, new valve springs everything in the engine was made in U.S.A. by TRW. I drove across the U.S. and back and by the time I got home the valves were rattling. The push rods were worn to a point and rockers, cam, lifters everything was trash. Very same parts that I had used before and went over 100,000 miles with no issue. I had to do the whole engine again. In all the engine went 467,000 miles but for some reason the parts failed that were made here.

I did use mobile 1 oil in that build after break in and never again.

A local place here makes valve trains for NASCAR I cannot remember their name and you probably will never hear of them. A racing part does not make it a long living part either. Race engines go a few hundred miles on a track and as you know some on the strip one pass. If you use the wrong push rod length and the geometry is not just right your valve train will fail no matter whose parts you use.

If anyone on the forum has parts that have failed put pictures up of them and the failure. It is all good information. Most valve train failures are not caused by the parts but by abuse. Miss a shift and float the valves and something is going to fail. Might not be right them but soon.

My experience with China (we have several manufacturing facilities up and running there) is that they are primarily what we call 'Build to Print', which means that they do not design, develop, debug, anything they make, they simply build it.

My issue with buying Chinese made speed parts is that they are simply copying an existing design, pulling cost out, and then selling it at cheaper cost without any thought towards what impacts the corners they have cut have on part quality and performance.

Slam me if you will, but my experience is that there are (potentially) very serious problems with a lot of the decisions that are made in building these cheap parts, but they are very attractive because of their initially low cost.

Is there enough clearance to the valve spring retainer? Are the bearing materials hardened to the right tensile strength? Is the aluminum raw material of sufficient strength and quality? Good luck finding some answers to those questions. On the flip side, you break a Harland Sharp rocker arm? I'd be willing to bet you can actually get someone on the phone who can help you and get you some answers or new parts.

As always- buyer beware.

There's a reason that the US OEM's are extremely careful with their joint ventures- what is deemed acceptable for Chinese domestic consumption is very likely not meeting established standards that are required here in the US.

My $0.02 from my experience. Flame away...

Back