Over tightened head bolts. What now?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Hey guys

I over tightened my head bolts by 10 ft pounds.

I am so pissed. I did not read the torque wrench setting well and now head is at 115 ft pounds

What options do I have?

1 don't touch anything

2. Loosen them down to 90 and torque to 105

3. Take everything off and replace gaskets and bolts

Cheers

Alex

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I appreciate all responses.

I lube the bolts with engine oil.

Here she is. I hope to fire it up and breakin the cam next week

Alex
75ed450f03413e802d0b8782dbe8ec9f.jpg

If you had put moly lube on the bolts you might have gone too far. Engine oil on the threads I see no issue.

BTW did you run a tap in all the bolt holes before cleaning everything? You should always run taps in all the head bolt, intake bolt, exhaust bolt holes to clean the threads and get any rust or crud out. I always use some anti seize on the exhaust bolts and ones in the water pump that are into water jacket.

If you had put moly lube on the bolts you might have gone too far. Engine oil on the threads I see no issue.

BTW did you run a tap in all the bolt holes before cleaning everything? You should always run taps in all the head bolt, intake bolt, exhaust bolt holes to clean the threads and get any rust or crud out. I always use some anti seize on the exhaust bolts and ones in the water pump that are into water jacket.
Hi

Yes, I did run a tap In all bolt holes.

I also torqued everything using this pattern ( see pic) . I did it in 3 stages. Bolts did not feel as if they were streching.

Alex
ecf5b8815167163ddaf380cd26b3cfcf.jpg

Just a thought from my own past experience. When you put the intake down, whether it be the original Ford or aftermarket, with or without the valley pan, I suggest investing in a tube of "The Right Stuff" to seal the ends. RTV won't stand up as well and the rubber seals you get with the valley pan kits will almost certainly leak. Also RTV is not gas proof. I use Permatex2 around the intake faces and had no leak problems. That's been my experience anyway. Do as you feel you need to.

As for the torque, chances are your T/wrench is off that much (10Ft/Lbs) unless you have a very expensive one. Don't worry.

Back