MOPAR invasion down under

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
My home town of Bendigo (Australia) had an invasion of Mopar's last Sunday, and they took over a few of the main streets in town. Here are some pics of the event with some classic muscle, plus a few Australian bred Mopar's that the US never saw:

resized_mopar081.jpg

resized_mopar080.jpg

resized_mopar076.jpg

resized_mopar071.jpg

resized_mopar069.jpg

resized_mopar067.jpg

resized_mopar065.jpg

resized_mopar063.jpg

resized_mopar059.jpg

resized_mopar057.jpg

resized_mopar053.jpg

resized_mopar047.jpg

resized_mopar046.jpg

resized_mopar045.jpg

resized_mopar043.jpg

resized_mopar039.jpg

resized_mopar033.jpg

resized_mopar030.jpg

resized_mopar029.jpg

resized_mopar028.jpg

resized_mopar025.jpg

resized_mopar024.jpg

resized_mopar023.jpg

resized_mopar021.jpg

resized_mopar018.jpg

resized_mopar017.jpg

resized_mopar016.jpg

resized_mopar015.jpg

resized_mopar014.jpg

resized_mopar013.jpg

resized_mopar012.jpg

resized_mopar010.jpg

resized_mopar009.jpg

resized_mopar004.jpg

resized_mopar002.jpg

resized_mopar089.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
pound for pound I think Australia wins for having the most muscle cars! Don't even see a pinch of this on Oahu. Why so many enthusiasts out there? I've always known Australia had more classic Mustangs than Hawaii, but now Mopars? unfriggin real! I love Mopars. The body lines and engines are pure muscle, but then you peak inside and the bench seats with column shift in most of em screams Granny car :)

Ohhh the Challengers!!!! A Challenger is going to be my second car baby some day! There´s no chargers or challengers in Uruguay so... that leave me no choice but to steal one from you US guys! :)

Damn, I'm drooling on my keyboard right now! The Superbird in Petty Blue?!? (Hyperventilating...!)

Did I mention that I love Mopars?

I always liked the Chargers, Super Birds, and Daytona's. Based on my experience back in the 60's and 70's the MOPARs were big rust buckets. I always noticed how they would rust out pretty quick seeing them going down the road. I owned a 74 Gold Duster (it was green) and a 74 Tradesman 300 Super Van I turned into a conversion van. They were both prone to rust. But with that said, I appreciate any vintage car that someone has worked hard on to preserve or restore.

a Lebanese guy that used to work beside our shop said to me one time "There are a lot of Cudas like that in my country" And he was talking about my Mustang hahahahalollerz

love the superbirds and those look like a couple of nice examples. I am a little surprised they ended up down there given how few there were.

Really love the look of a 'cuda convertible. The one's in the pictures look sweet.

pound for pound I think Australia wins for having the most muscle cars! Don't even see a pinch of this on Oahu. Why so many enthusiasts out there? I've always known Australia had more classic Mustangs than Hawaii, but now Mopars? unfriggin real! I love Mopars. The body lines and engines are pure muscle, but then you peak inside and the bench seats with column shift in most of em screams Granny car :)
It's a good question why so much US muscle over here. I'm guessing it is because our automotive heritage was a spin-off from the US in the 60's and 70's with our main local car makers being Holden (Chev) and Ford. The problem is that we had muscle cars, but due to the small size of our population we suffered sorely from lack of choice in body styles, and we'd stare in envy at the US models knowing we couldn't easily get them because of the cost of importation and the hefty price to get them changed to right hand drive to make them legal to drive.

But ten years ago our government showed a rare bit of wisdom by allowing cars over thirty years old to be registered and driven as left hand drive, and all of a sudden the US cars that we always lusted for could be owned without breaking the bank (also the Aussie dollar is now worth more than the greenback for the first time in thirty years).

Interesting tidbit of info I read from an importer on the Aussie Mustang forum; he says that in the last 4 years 95% of Americans won't sell their classic car if they know it's going to leave the country. I obviously can't vouch for the veracity of this statement not being American, but I can certainly understand why people in the US would be upset about foreigners buying up a lot of their classics (didn't stop me from buying one though :p). It makes me wonder the importers keep it a secret from the cars owner that it's going to end up on the other side of the world.

Back