Leaf Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Almost done installing new OEM leaf springs in my 73 convertible, standard ride and spring rate.  Car had original leaf springs.  Couple areas I have questions on. 1. All the instructions I could find advised to hand tighten all the nuts except the two shackle nuts on each side in the rear and then put the car on the ground to let the suspension settle ... then torque all the nuts with the car on the ground.  I tightened the shakle nuts to their correct tightness before putting car on the ground.  Does this sound correct ?  

2.  When I put the car on the ground I noticed that the right rear appeared noticably lower than the left rear, not level.  What would cause this ?  Does the car need to be drive to let the suspension settle into place ?  All the shocks and all the front end suspension pieces are new and professionaly installed.  The leaf springs were the last suspension items to be installed. 

3.  Would anyone have a need for an original set of Ford leaf springs for their restoration. I believe you can have them recurved, otherwise I guess I will take them to a scrap yard.  Any info. would be greatly appreciated .... thanks !

When I did the leafs in my car, it took a little while for everything to level out, my drivers side was a little low. I too tightened everything per spec while the car was on stands and have had no issues. I would give it a little time and see what happens. Good luck!

When I did the leafs in my car, it took a little while for everything to level out, my drivers side was a little low. I too tightened everything per spec while the car was on stands and have had no issues. I would give it a little time and see what happens. Good luck!
Thanks for the response !

Hello,

Does anyone have a good photo of how the original rear suspension set up on my car should look ?  Especially the spring clip brakets that hold the bottom end of the shock and spring clips.  Thanks

Stegve

Hello,

Does anyone have a good photo of how the original rear suspension set up on my car should look ?  Especially the spring clip brakets that hold the bottom end of the shock and spring clips.  Thanks

Stegve
You have lost me on the spring clips? Is your car a staggered shock with rear sway bar or just the standard? I have a 48,000 mile 73 vert but shocks have been changed.

Hello,

Stegve
You have lost me on the spring clips? Is your car a staggered shock with rear sway bar or just the standard? I have a 48,000 mile 73 vert but shocks have been changed.

Hello,

Standard 73 convertible, no sway bar ...shocks are both forward of the rear axle and mount to the bracket under the axle that also has the ubolts attached to it. Thanks

Tighten the nut on the front eye bolt to just past finger-tight, as well as the shackle nuts. Lower the car to the ground, and drive (gingerly) around the block a couple of times. By this time (just a couple of miles), the car will have settled to its natural state. Then tighten all nuts/bolts to specification without lifting the car off the ground.

Be sure to use anti-seize on the front eye bolt as it goes through the spring eye. Your grand-kids will appreciate that effort in another 20 years or so.

Tighten the nut on the front eye bolt to just past finger-tight, as well as the shackle nuts.  Lower the car to the ground, and drive (gingerly) around the block a couple of times.  By this time (just a couple of miles), the car will have settled to its natural state.  Then tighten all nuts/bolts to specification without lifting the car off the ground.

Be sure to use anti-seize on the front eye bolt as it goes through the spring eye.  Your grand-kids will appreciate that effort in another 20 years or so.
One question, should the u-bolt nouts be torqued to specs with car in air or torqued after the short drive ?  thanks 

steve

Ahhh...U-bolts tightened to spec before driving. You don't want your rear axle to slide around/rotate. U-bolts don't affect ride height.

+1, then retorque then after a few miles.
Great ... thanks.  Let you all know how it goes when finished.
Hello,

I got everything back together correctly, torqued the u-bolt nuts and shock absorber nuts to specs.  Left the eye bolt and shackle bolts finger tight and took the car for a few mile ride with some turns, braking etc. to set the suspension.  Here is the issue, the passenger side rear body is still app. 1" lower than the driver's side. Meaning distance between top of tire and wheel well opening.  This issue was present prior to replacing the leaf springs.  Any idea as to what could be causing this ??? All of the suspension componenets front and rear are all new.  Thanks for your help !

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, then retorque then after a few miles.
Great ... thanks.  Let you all know how it goes when finished.
Hello,

I got everything back together correctly, torqued the u-bolt nuts and shock absorber nuts to specs.  Left the eye bolt and shackle bolts finger tight and took the car for a few mile ride with some turns, braking etc. to set the suspension.  Here is the issue, the passenger side rear body is still app. 1" lower than the driver's side. Meaning distance between top of tire and wheel well opening.  This issue was present prior to replacing the leaf springs.  Any idea as to what could be causing this ??? All of the suspension componenets front and rear are all new.  Thanks for your help !
could your car have been rear ended in the past and the frame is bent  measure from the ground  to various places on the frame and compare

Take a look at your front end: is it level from side to side? If one side in higher/lower, then the opposite (rear) side will be lower/higher.

Back