Pully ID Help Please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandos7173

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang
can anyone help me id this NOS

pulley.

D0OE-8509-J

It is a 2 groove , a friend told me it may have been an experimental pulley before they landed on the D0OE-8509-L or D0OE-8509-M design.

any insight?

brandos7173, will try to help you and hopefully not get you tangled in the Ford numbering system. The third digit "O" in  DOOE indicates Torino which means original design responsibility was assigned to the Torino team engineers. So when you see C9OE, DOOE, D1OE, D2OE etc, the original application was Torino and of course was used on other car and truck applications.

The DOOE-J (DOOZ-8509-J) was initially used on the 70 429 Torino. There were actually six different  pulleys used that year on the 429 Torino. In 1971 the number of pulleys were reduced and were now being used on the one year only 71 429 Mustang. The DOOE-J pulley was a regular production part and was replaced by the DOOE-M (DOOZ-8509-M) pulley.

Even if you don't need that pulley for any of your vehicles, please don't toss it. A lot were bent, damaged, or tossed when not needed over the years and that one looks to be in exceptional shape. There are several 429 owners here who would probably like to have that pulley in their "Just In Case" pile of parts if you don't need it!

Steve, you beat me too it.

The 429 megasite has some info on this, I would guess that this is a pulley for a 70 429 Torino for a car with no AC but with a smog pump...

-Matt

mjlan, forgot about 429 megasite being back on line. Normally check them as their info is a great reference tool for all 71-73 Mustangs. The original application for the "J" pulley was the 70 429 SCJ Torino. Smaller outer groove was for the thermactor air pump. There was only one SCJ in our group  and I remember the trash can being filled with all those evil parts that didn't help make horsepower. Lol   Those same parts are now commanding insane prices as people hunt for concours smog related components. Years ago a friend of mine who runs a restoration business spent over 2K with Perkins for smog parts for a 70 Boss 429!

Mustang Tek can be very helpful  , and their information is correct ..............most of the time.

This pulley is mentioned there, just as "torino water pump" with a question mark , thats it.

But I think one of the previous posts was correct ,, saying it was 70 Torino 429SCJ

can anyone help me id this NOS

pulley.

D0OE-8509-J

It is a 2 groove , a friend told me it may have been an experimental pulley before they landed on the D0OE-8509-L or D0OE-8509-M design.

I need this pulley for my Cobra. PLEASE, PLease please.

Back