Regulator problem..I think!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowmach351

Reaction score
My Car
1971 yellow Mach 1 ram air 351c traction loc 4 speed. Ordered new from the factory in April 1971. 74,000 miles, in excellent condition. Going through complete engine rebuild only to increase horsepower, not because it needed it. Should bring 430 to 450 hp upon completion.
I had the alternator rebuilt on my 71 351c. I bought a new regulator and installed that also. I was getting no charging, so I thought perhaps I had inadvertently hooked up the alternator incorrectly and caused a problem. Had the alt. checked and it is fine. Now I didn't polarize the regulator before using it, like I used to have to do with older vehicles that I rebuilt. Does this regulator need polarized? If so, what terminals would that be? Don't know if it should go to field or stator. If it doesn't need polarized, going to assume it's just a defective regulator. This isn't my regulator, but it would be the same tab configuration. I just found this online. 

Thanks for your help. 

No need to polarize a voltage regulator; that went out when generators were replaced with alternators.

The wiring to the VR depends upon whether you have an ammeter or an alternator indicator lamp.

The ammeter requires all four wires: green/red to I, yellow to A, white/black to S, and orange to F.

The alternator indicator lamp uses three positions: yellow to A, green/red to S, and orange to F.

Latest posts

Back