Sportsroof/Mach 1 vs. Coupe/Grande' length

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfeverrr

Reaction score
My Car
'71 351C coupe
Hey guys -

I've always been under the impression (and am fairly sure I read it somewhere, and more than once) since the '71s broke cover that the coupes were shorter in length than the sportsroof bodystyle, but everywhere I've been running searches on them shows the same 189.5" length for both bodies (and I'm not talking about including the extra length of the urethane bumpers - let's say, with all things being equal, bumpers, etc.). Are these sites just parroting each other with equal specs without researching the info as the years have gone by, or are the two actually the same length? Anybody have some real empirical info about it?

Thanks!

Awesome info - thanks, Mid!

And yes, the two are supposed to be identical lengths. Must be an optical illusion, because the coupes sure look shorter!

A couple of things I didn't know - the coupes are .7" taller than the sportsroof, and have a 16" shorter (front to back) roofline!

Thanks again -

I do think the Ford Mustang Facts books are scanned and on the forum and should have all that info in there. It was what the salesmen had to reference for info to give to customers. I wish I had a set of them but over $100 on eBay when they come up.

I do know the older I get the harder it is to get into these darn cars they keep shrinking and I am 6'5" but 69 so do not bend so easily.

Back