Search Set Hood Racing Stripes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not seen a set of those stripes available. My best guess is they are either painted on, or custom made for the car. Any graphics or sign shop with a vinyl cutter could make them. Just be sure they are using an automotive grade vinyl.

Curious,

Does anyone on the forum have an original car with the inserts? I know the Sprints had them and Marti tells me my Special Order 73 probably had but he does not have the records to look it up. Build sheet has some special notes.

I have looked around for pictures and do not know what is correct. Sort of like what members are going through with side stripes and hood templates for black or argent.

Here are a few pics I have gathered looking for something correct.

I think the sprint is correct but do not know 100% the yellow car has different radius toward the center. I do know that they did not go to the front of the hood but stop short. If someone has an original they could do a pencil rub from I would try to get some cut. I also understand they were applied stripes not painted is that true? I do think they improve the looks, that is a big hood with a lot of one color. The way the yellow car is how my 73 vert is thought to have came by Marti just no hard records.

online uploader

I've checked all my Ford info and stripe manufacture sites I've had any dealings with. I can't find anything for the flat hood other than the 72 Sprint Blue and red stripe decal. Since the stripes on the white and yellow cars are different, the chances of there being a DSO hood stripe available is sorta doubtful. No money to be made on a stripe that no body knew about and Ford never advertised. As others have posted, that large expanse of flat hood was a canvas waiting for something to happen. I would put my money on a dealer installed stripe or something done by a local shop. I would try to get a stripe patterned after the 72 Sprint stripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I'd had done to mine.

Both were done by shops that did advertising on cars.

The first one (when it was still red) was done in 2002 iIrc and those were pretty thick stripes as the very thin vinyl wrap wasn't yet available. those stripes ran all the length of the car. 

PB1010014.JPG

The current one was made with thin modern vinyl wrap and cut to size on the car to fit the recessed area.

IMG_5769.JPG

If you do this, remember that a small binding (stripe) surrounding the big ones will make a huge difference in appearance even if the stripes stay the same.

You can also get Phoenix graphics to make them as well. They will make them exactly correct.

Back