electric cooling fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Hello to those who know me and to those who don't.   I went and took my 72 mach back from the Ford Dealer where my son works at.  He's had the car for 6 months for trans work.  All the old timers at his shop offered to do odds and end work on the car for free just for the pleasure of memories.  But of course it never happened.   The trans (FMX) is about 90 % full functional (speedo off and no kick down) but I am driving at least.

My new concern is temp goes hot at long idling times.  Only have a 4-blade fan, but my son wants me to add an electric fan on toggle when temp climbs.

A thoughts or suggestions?  Anyone added an extra fan and any tips?

Thanks to all    Alan L.

I'm not a fan of fans on toggle switches. Just my personal opinion. My Grande has a 5 blade fan and original untouched radiator with a moderately built 351C and I have no over heat issues at all.

I swore off electric fans a long time ago. A thermostatic clutch fan does everything I need it to do, plus it requires much less energy to turn than the factory 4 or 5 blade direct drive fans.

The clutch you need IIRC is the Hayden 2710. The fan blade can be off of anything that fits in your shroud and matches the clutch, or you can buy a new Hayden 18" 3620 fan blade at RockAuto for about $35.

Long time ago my car had some overheating issues too at idle but only due to build up in the Intake Manifold water jackets and I ran an electric fan as well but now I will be installing a 6-blade fan when the time comes and ditch the electric fan. The 6-blade moves a lot more air! Just my 2 cents guys!

Back