71 Coupe trunk filler panel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
2017-10-28 10.49.00.jpg

2017-10-28 10.49.00.jpgGood morning! I finally got my project in the garage, and looked it over good. A quick background...

I am in Michigan. I bought a small batch of cars with a friend from an impound lot in California, and had them shipped here. I got a 72 Coupe for parts, and a 71 Coupe I am going to put on the road. It is a 6 cylinder AT, I am putting together a 351w to go in it. The parts 72 car is a V8, and I am going to use the rear end, and power front discs, ect for my 71.

Anyhoo, got the car in the garage today and started looking her over. It is pretty clean, especially compared to Michigan stuff! lol The floors are good other than a 12x12 section on the passenger side that is swiss cheese. Trunk floor, rockers, doors, and fenders are good. 1'4's are mostly good, just a couple of small spots above the tire need attention. I will be starting a build log soon on it.

The worst spot, by far, is the back part, between the deck lid and rear window. it is actually rusted thru at the bottom of the window, I can push the filler up and down with my hand. The panel under the outer skin is half rusted away also. But everything else is good, not sure how this one part is so bad when the rest is good.....

I have been looking thru the catalogs and online, and can't find any replacement panels for this year car. I assume it would be called the trunk filler panel for the outside, and possibly package tray underneath, going by other years that have them available. it looks like I need from the bottom of the glass to the trunk lid, and from 1'4 panel seems side to side. Any idea where to find these?

I want to get the mechanicals done this winter so I can drive it next summer while I work on the body, but this filler is something I will need to fix before I can drive it.  Any direction someone can point me in would be great! Thanks, Earl

Last edited by a moderator:

Good morning! I finally got my project in the garage, and looked it over good. A quick background...

I am in Michigan. I bought a small batch of cars with a friend from an impound lot in California, and had them shipped here. I got a 72 Coupe for parts, and a 71 Coupe I am going to put on the road. It is a 6 cylinder AT, I am putting together a 351w to go in it. The parts 72 car is a V8, and I am going to use the rear end, and power front discs, ect for my 71.

Anyhoo, got the car in the garage today and started looking her over. It is pretty clean, especially compared to Michigan stuff! lol The floors are good other than a 12x12 section on the passenger side that is swiss cheese. Trunk floor, rockers, doors, and fenders are good. 1'4's are mostly good, just a couple of small spots above the tire need attention. I will be starting a build log soon on it.

The worst spot, by far, is the back part, between the deck lid and rear window. it is actually rusted thru at the bottom of the window, I can push the filler up and down with my hand. The panel under the outer skin is half rusted away also. But everything else is good, not sure how this one part is so bad when the rest is good.....

I have been looking thru the catalogs and online, and can't find any replacement panels for this year car. I assume it would be called the trunk filler panel for the outside, and possibly package tray underneath, going by other years that have them available. it looks like I need from the bottom of the glass to the trunk lid, and from 1'4 panel seems side to side. Any idea where to find these?

I want to get the mechanicals done this winter so I can drive it next summer while I work on the body, but this filler is something I will need to fix before I can drive it.  Any direction someone can point me in would be great! Thanks, Earl
2017-10-29 19.48.01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably have to find a good donor car for those pieces, or fab something up yourself. I just went through an Idaho car that had zero rust anywhere, don't overlook cars from that region. Good luck!!

Good morning! I finally got my project in the garage, and looked it over good. A quick background...

PM sent

Back