Exterior seam sealer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymach71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
hi all

I’m getting ready to assemble the body work and weld it all together and am wondering, per the tech schematics I have they call for seam sealer around certain areas of those panels especially at the quarter extension brackets and lower filler parts

Does anyone know what type of sealer is used? They didn’t specify and I assume it needs to be paintable but I can’t see using the same sealer as the front apron and floor area... thanks for any and all advice!

E666FEBE-B496-4BE2-95B3-F57B54B04EA2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used LORD Fusor Sealer. Nice stuff and works great.  https://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives/fusor-802hd804hd805hd806hd-high-definition-sealer

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh ok now I get it.... 

I have some 3m heavy body seam sealer which I think is the same type of thing, so I’ll proceed

Thanks for the relay!!

Ahh ok now I get it.... 

I have some 3m heavy body seam sealer which I think is the same type of thing, so I’ll proceed

Thanks for the relay!!
I used the 3m as well. Worked great.
Thanks!! THe gun was costly enough I could justify using this product...

not a fan at all of 3m 1k 8500 under paint, it will shrink and the paint will crack, upol tiger seal is a better choice for 1k, i agree lord fusor or 3m 8308 is the next step up. see if your local paint store has a loaner gun if you don't want to buy one

not a fan at all of 3m 1k 8500 under paint, it will shrink and the paint will crack, upol tiger seal is a better choice for 1k, i agree lord fusor or 3m 8308 is the next step up. see if your local paint store has a loaner gun if you don't want to buy one
Lord Fusor uses a standard caulking gun.

All sounds guys... I’ll check out both options before I proceed as I want the best product  and most easily applied too... didn’t know LF is a standard gun.... more to think. About...

All sounds guys... I’ll check out both options before I proceed as I want the best product  and most easily applied too... didn’t know LF is a standard gun.... more to think. About...
fusor makes 1k and 2k seam sealer.{both types of guns} there are many brands of sealers and adhesives. your supplier may have sem or evercoat etc. keep in mind things things like dry time, work time, dtm or not, if extra tips are available. shelf life when opened. 3m does  makes great products. my warning on the 8500 was because i have seen it in drip rails body seams etc. cause these little cracks even when cured long before paint or primer, i didn't want that to happen to you.

Well I’ll take all the advice I can get. I don’t want to regret anything especially if I can ask questions on this forum before I go further....thanks again everyone... I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions..

fusor makes 1k and 2k seam sealer.{both types of guns} there are many brands of sealers and adhesives. your supplier may have sem or evercoat etc. keep in mind things things like dry time, work time, dtm or not, if extra tips are available. shelf life when opened. 3m does  makes great products. my warning on the 8500 was because i have seen it in drip rails body seams etc. cause these little cracks even when cured long before paint or primer, i didn't want that to happen to you.

hi

Did you use panel bond on the front flange of the quarter then spot or tack the specified weld points?

Thnx

R

No panel bond. I just punched holes in the lip with my flange tool. Rosette/plug welded the holes then ground down flush. Then seam sealed the perimeter.

No panel bond. I just punched holes in the lip with my flange tool. Rosette/plug  welded the holes then ground down flush.  Then seam sealed the perimeter.
Sounds good and thanks!

Back