Any 1972 R code hardtops or Grandes?

I remember seeing pic of a yellow one that had some fake (but nice looking) badging on the fenders.

But no others.  Curious if anyone knows of any others?

14 Hardtops and 5 Grandes were built.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I saw one of the R code hard tops a few years ago- it was a burnt out hulk with nothing that could be salvaged-and the engine was gone lol

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Sad.

I figure someone will clone one eventually. It would be interesting to see how they were configured. Colors, interiors - where they were sold, etc.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 11 months later...

Would love to hear about more of these 'muscle coupes' showing up.

I know many who aren't fans of the Hardtops and Grandes, but I have always liked them too. And the possibility of one factory-equipped with a strong motor has always been interesting to me.

1971 M, Q, C or J code Hardtops and Grandes

1972 Q and R code Hardtops and Grandes

1973 Q code Hardtops and Grandes (not near as rare as other years but still worth a mention)

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

There is a white '71 grande J Code in the Toronto area. I almost bought it in 1990 , but the asking price of $11,500 was too rich for my blood at the time. It was still wearing its original paint throughout. the purchaser who did buy it decided to "restore" the car, new paint, new engine compartment paint, etc. IMO, did not need it and the real value was in its originality state at the time. The car is still around, I see it a local show's, still in pretty nice shape since the restoration; but I always think back to what I could have bought, the original asking price and the additional restoration...

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

There is a white '71 Grandé J Code in the Toronto area. I almost bought it in 1990 , but the asking price of $11,500 was too rich for my blood at the time. It was still wearing its original paint throughout. the purchaser who did buy it decided to "restore" the car, new paint, new engine compartment paint, etc. IMO, did not need it and the real value was in its originality state at the time. The car is still around, I see it a local show's, still in pretty nice shape since the restoration; but I always think back to what I could have bought, the original asking price and the additional restoration...

Please try and get pics and especially one of the vin if possible.  Rare one indeed!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I tried to buy a local 71 M-code 4spd coupe about twelve years ago. Guy was the original owner, ex Marine, bought it when he got back from overseas. Bare bones car, no power anything, black w/red std interior, NASA hood and that was about it. Had a bunch of work done on it at some point and had been repainted. Was probably a 6/10 car. He was asking $14k which was nutso money for a non-429 coupe at the time.

There is a white '71 Grandé J Code in the Toronto area. I almost bought it in 1990 , but the asking price of $11,500 was too rich for my blood at the time. It was still wearing its original paint throughout. the purchaser who did buy it decided to "restore" the car, new paint, new engine compartment paint, etc. IMO, did not need it and the real value was in its originality state at the time. The car is still around, I see it a local show's, still in pretty nice shape since the restoration; but I always think back to what I could have bought, the original asking price and the additional restoration...

Please try and get pics and especially one of the vin if possible.  Rare one indeed!

Ray, You will not be impressed with my most recent pic of the Grande in question (to the right of the picture...), but maybe you will like the object of the photographer's attention (I grabbed this screenshot off a Mustang Club's website). Somewhat sad that while looking at the Grande, I figured that it had the unfortunate timing to have the Ford GT park beside it... Very few people looked at the Grande... people look at the car as just another coupe, not fully realizing the rarity due to the 4th & 5th digit's in the serial number... I guess if you are going to be bypassed, the scene stealer in question is not a bad way to go.

Ray

Grande.jpg.efd2b61aa5eb67c4add1b637984f66a4.jpg

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

• 1 year later...

I saw one in auto trader in the 90s. Plain Jane coupe. Saw one at a Russo and Steele auction 15 years ago. Different car. Saw the yellow Canadian convertible, but just a picture.

Other than the one I owned and the ot the auction, I’ve never seen another one with my own eyes.

Link to my 72 Q code: pics added 2/16/19

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/28719/88030-2

Link to my now sold 72 H.O

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/5858

My 70 Boss racecar

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/6520